CR Sunset Tours Cano Negro HELP

Jun 6th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

CR Sunset Tours Cano Negro HELP

Hi all - many of you have suggested using Sunset tours for the Cano Negro river tour. There are two to choose from - Wildlife Refuge by boat or regular Rio Frio boat?? Does anyone know the difference? Also, any other Sunset tours you would recommend? We're leaving on June 16th and I'm making some last minute reservations! Thanks, Jenn
Jun 6th, 2008, 05:00 AM

We did the less expensive one and loved it.
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Are Wildlife Refuge and Rio Frio really 2 different tours? I looked at the Sunset Tours Web site, and the Wildlife Refuge-Rio Frio seems to be the same tour: http://www.sunsettourcr.com/index.ph...negrotour#ftop .

Volcanogirl: Is this the tour you took?

I will be visiting Costa Rica in a few weeks, and am trying to decide on which tours to take.
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM

There's a Wildlife Refuge one and the Rio Frio one; we did the Rio Frio one. Actually when we went, there was only one tour - the Rio Frio that doesn't actually go in the refuge, but skirts around it; we were perfectly happy with it. I think you end up seeing all the same wildlife. It's a great tour.
Jun 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I'm pretty sure the tour we took through Sunset Tours also skirted around the actual reserve and just cruised up and down the Rio Frio. It was wonderful!

It would be nice to know the difference between the 2 tours though. Have you tried emailing Sunset to get clarification, JoyceL or jwell? If you find out, you can pass the info along to the rest of us.

I think you'll have a great day regardless of what you choose. We did 2 separate tours with Sunset and they were both terrific. I don't think you can go wrong...
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM

I've been reading this thread because I too am interested in doing a Cane Negro tour. We will be driving from San Jose ( leaving early in the morning 8o or so.) to Playa Flamingo for a week. Is it reasonable to go to Arenal area on the way and stay one night? I figures we'd be there about noon. See the hanging bridges, volcano. springs. Next day the tour. Then head to Playa Flamingo.Too much? How long does the tour take?
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Hi cpcd,

Have you been to Arenal before? If not, you'll very likely wish you had spent more time there. It's such a great area!

At any rate, if you're driving yourselves you'd need to stay in Arenal for 2 nights if you want to do Cano Negro. The tour takes the better part of the day and you won't be back in La Fortuna until around 3:30-ish. I'm not sure how long the drive to Playa Flamingo would take, but it will be getting dark around 5:30. You won't want to be on the road after dark unless you have a driver who really knows the lay of the land.

Hope you can work it out. Cano Negro is a lot of fun!
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Quite honestly, this isn't a feasible plan. As cmerrell stated, Arenal is definitely at least a 2 nighter. In CR you just can't plan this tightly as things don't always go along just like you think they will! It is a MUST to allow cushions of time with each transfer and activity you plan.

From Arenal to Playa Flamingo, you are looking at about 5 hours minimum, possibly 6 if you stop along the way for a meal, couple of bathrooms breaks, sightseeing, etc. With all the recent rains, the roads may be worse than usual and that could slow you down as well.

I'll tell you this. We go to Playa Flamingo a LOT--every year in fact. Staying there 4 nights this time. Usually about 3 nights. You could EASILY give up a few Flamingo nights and add Arenal into your itinerary, and I think you'd be quite pleased with your decision. Give it some thought! Cano Negro is a terrific tour and will give you the op to see so much wildlife.
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that would be the answer. Shillmac, would rincon de vieja substitute for the Arenal area?
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Rincon is a nice day trip. You can experience what it has to offer in that amount of time.

Arenal is much more and can best be done with 2 full days. Hot springs can always be a nighttime activity which helps. And of course, the volcano viewing you just do whenever the op presents itself. What you do with the rest of your time is optional, but there is a LOT to choose from. AND that area is building up so quickly--it is changing rapidly.

I know your pain--of trying to make these decisions. We all do. It's darned tough, which is a testimony to the destination and all it has to offer! The good news is that you can't make a wrong decision. . you'll enjoy yourself no matter where. And all any of us can tell you is what has worked for US. You along know what appeals to you most.

For ME, a split of 3/4 days Arenal/Flamingo respectively would be my choice, based on what I know about each area. . .Arenal really is a don't miss part of the country. But you can always plan it for another trip!
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM

I'll definitely email this thread to my fellow travelers so I will have help in my decision. One more question....does it get dark at 5:30 in the summer??
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM

It gets dark in the summer at 5:30 - and the fall - and the spring - and the winter! Little variation!
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM

The closer you get to equator, the less variation you'll see in the hours of daylight vs. nighttime. As tully notes, 5:30 is basically the bewitching hour, and it gets dark fast!

I definitely agree that Arenal is a "don't miss" area. All of you in the 'first visit' planning phase (jwell, JoyceL, and cpcd) are in for a treat!
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Regarding the dark issue, we're nearly always at Playa Flamingo sometime in July--it will be August this year. Although that is summer in the U.S., it's invierno, or winter, or green season (whichever you want to call it) in Costa Rica.

We make a point every day of "gathering for the setting of the sun" as if it were a religious experience (which it almost is!). We head out to the beach about 5:30, when the sun is still above the horizon. We watch for probably 45 min. because after the sun is down, the colors continue to go through all kinds of gorgeous variations. By 6:15 it is getting pretty dim, and by 6:30 it is dark.

But if you are going to be driving, it's a good idea to plan to arrive by 5:30 if you don't want to be driving after dark--because your arrival time is ALWAYS a little delayed!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Well, I booked the Rio Frio tour so I will let you know how it goes...I owe everyone a great trip report when I get back! Thank you all for your advice - you've helped me so much. I am still getting last minute plans together - we leave in a week! SO EXCITED!! Thanks again! Jenn

Search this Thread