CR - Punta Islita instead of Monteverde???

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR - Punta Islita instead of Monteverde???

Dear CR experts,
I thought I had it all figured out…2 weeks in CR (Feb 2009, DH and I), Arenal, Monteverde and Bosque del Cabo, with the last 2 nights at the Peace Lodge.

I am having second thoughts about Monteverde – it gets mixed reviews, the road to get there is not great, and no hotel in the area gets good reviews. I am thinking of replacing it with a few days to Punta Islita – yes, a totally different place. What do you think?

The place looks great on the web and the hotel gets good reviews, but what about wildlife? And if not spending the entire day on the beach, what can we do there?

Logistically, Nature Air flies to Arenal, Punta Islita and Puerto Jiménez so getting to each area does not seem that complicated. Is that true?
Overall, what do you all think about this new plan? If ok, in what order would you visit the 3 areas?
Thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Punta Islita is a beautiful hotel if you just want to go there for the hotel experience. We had a good deal there because we bought it on Luxurylink. But for a nature experience, I'd go somewhere else. There's not much nearby. (But you will have already had the nature experience at BdC.) It is more of a luxury experience. The food is good, the pool with the poolside bar is beautiful, the spa is nice, there is a nice beach to walk down to, with a small restaurant there. Our room was beautiful. We enjoyed it there, but I wouldn't go back.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM

While many rave about Monteverde, I'd opt for Punta Islita. Haven't stayed there yet, and it sounds so lovely. You'll have plenty of wildlife at Bosque del Cabo!

I think I'd go to Arenal (and probably drive myself as it isn't very far, 2.5 hours) first. Then fly to Punta Islita and back, catching the next flight to Bosque del Cabo!

Peace Lodge would probably be BEST at the beginning, on your way to Arenal. Nice relaxing way to slip into the Costa Rica "pura vida".

You could do it at the end as well, depending on your arrival/departure times. . .
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM

We spent the entire week we were in CR at Punta Islita and thought it was perfect. If you are mixing it in with other stops I think it would work well.

If you check out their website you'll get an idea of what you can do while there. I'm not sure what you'll be doing earlier in your trip, but they have a zip line, horseback riding, river kayaking etc. And they have a really terrific spa (I think I got a spa treatment every day I was there).

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Minooka, Shillmac,
Thanks - before that, we are planning a few days in Arenal, and after that, a few days in Osa. Those are definitive - the middle of the trip, still TBD. Another option for these middle days is Manuel Antonio, which looks great, too and seems to give us more options in terms of things to do and wildlife.
Ohhh, decisions, decisions...life is so hard
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Yeah, for activities, Manuel Antonio is good. Nice variety of things to do there. Punta Islita sounds as if it fits the bill for those seeking to escape the more active scene. It seems as if most of your itinerary is at high activity locations, which might make Punta Islita a nice alternative. You won't go wrong with whichever decision you make as you can always choose to be as active or inactive as you wish--at any of these places!