Cozumel all inclusive

Aug 7th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Sandy

Cozumel all inclusive

We would like to go to Cozumel. We are looking at the Allegro or Iberostar as we like all inclusives. Our 15 year old will be travelling with us. We want a great beach and to be able to snorkel there at the hotel,
activities for all of us and amazing food. Has anyone got any comments about these hotels? We stayed at the Riu Yucatan on the mainland before and wonder if these hotels are comparable. At that time, the Allegro there was involved in marketing vacation time and we definitely don't want to stay there if that is happening in Cozumel also.
Should we venture to Cozumel or try the new Riu Palace?

Aug 8th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Debbie

Hi! We've stayed at the RIU Palace and prior to that at 2 different ai's over on Cozumel. We stayed one week at the Club Cozumel Caribe which won't have the same level of 'amazing food' like you would used to at the RIU (it's more of a resort directed to dedicated scuba divers). Our first time on Cozumel was at the Diamond which is now the Allegro resort and we loved it.
I can honestly say that either the Allegro or the Iberostar would fulfil your needs. Note however that as Cozumel provides excellent snorkelling and water activities along with other great adventures on the island, you will be faced with a 40 minute ferry ride if you ever want to go back to the mainland and enjoy some of the things to do around PDC.
We are heading back to this area next Feb and having stayed on both the mainland and Coz, we ourselves are torn as to where to stay this time as both the mainland and Coz both appeal. It's going to be a tough choice.

Aug 8th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Susan

Debbie, how about going to both places? We've done that a few times. We live in Toronto and usually get a charter flight to Mexico (either Cozumel or Cancun) and we always book our own accommodation. I know that many people like AI, but we aren't fans - there are so many good restaurants around that we don't like to be limited, plus neither of us drink much. There are also loads of smaller hotels which are quite reasonable. Last year we had only 1 week in early March, so we spent 4 nights in Cozumel (over carnival) and then 3 in Playa del Carmen. We flew in and out of Cozumel. It was the ideal holiday - I love Cozumel, my husband loves Playa del Carmen, we were both happy!

Aug 9th, 2000, 09:03 AM
debbie

Hi Susan! You are right also but it sounds like our co-traveller Sandy here is an ai fan such as we are. Having said that though they can still stay at an ai on either side and enjoy the pleasures of both sides. With a young son though they might want to have easier and quicker access to places like Xcaret, Xel-ha which are both good kids places (if you have muchos dineros that is!!).
Nice to run into a fellow Canadian on this site (we're from Thornhill - you know..Vaughan, the "City above Toronto" . Agree with you that without having to change to U.S. dollars and the wonderful restaurants and stuff in PDC and Coz, ai is not everyone's choice but it's just something we've done each time we've travelled and the prices on the ai's we choose still leave us room to eat off the resort.
Anyhow Sandy - it's looks like we're not helping you much in deciding whether to try the Palace (I've talked to people who've stayed there and say it's really nice) and stay on the PDC side or venture over to Cozumel. Why not do a week on either side?

Aug 13th, 2000, 06:46 AM
rita

We took three teens to allegro cozumel this past april. To say they "loved it" is an understatement all agreed it was the best vacation ever. Snorkeling is not so great right off the beach at either place although allegro has a small boat sunk wich gets a fair amount of fish activity. Dive Palancar on site offers great snorkeling tours. I never used this as I dive but the kids liked it. The dive op at the Iberostar is Dressel divers whom don't have such a good rep. Staff at allegro was great with teens lots for them to do beach volleyball snorkeling tours teen discos water games......... Lots of food choices from buffet to sit down. The girls made lots of friends I am sure your son would enjoy this place. peace rita