Search

COVID test in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COVID test in Mexico

Has anyone been to Cancun lately and needed a COVID test to return to the United States? Planning on going in March but not sure now, may cancel. What happens if you test positive and are the testing sites safe and reliable? I think hotel might offer one but do not think it is a PCR test. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 10:49 AM

There are over a dozen or more posts on the TripAdvisor forums for Cancun, Playa, Riviera Maya and others about getting a Covid test down there. From what I have read, almost all of the AI resorts are offering them, usually done by a doctor who visits the hotel and many are offering "free" quarantine. You could also visit a pharmacy like Farmacia Similares or clinics like CostaMed. Cost varies. Check with your hotel If you are staying in a condo I guess you would have to arrange to visit a clinic,, pharmacy or local doctor.
A friend just came back from an AI near Puerto Morelos and he and his wife had the tests done at their hotel with no problem.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 01:14 PM

I don't think there is too much risk of a testing site not "being safe", not sure what you are thinking of there. Those tests are by international companies mostly, I would think they'd be accurate enough. I know various states require testing for residents who return, and their requirements vary (some don't say it has to be a PCR test), but that would be something you'd have to check your state about.

As for the CDC requirement for international flights coming into the US, it does NOT have to be a PCR test, it can be an antigen test. It just cannot be an antibody test, it has to test for the virus. Here are the rules
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

As for what happens if you test positive, I don't know, but you can't fly, so I guess you'll have to stay there. That seems kind of obvious, what else could happen? Hope you have good insurance (medical and other travel). Might check policies that cover expenses if you get COVID, if there are such things. Although that part wouldn't be all that expensive unless you were one of the people who really got it bad, which of course can happen. Otherwise, it would just be staying there a couple weeks, I guess, alythough it can take a couple months to test negative.

SO you are only thinking of this because you have to have a test? So if you didn't, the COVID risk would have been ok to you?

Last edited by Moderator1; Feb 20th, 2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: removed sarcastic political comment
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are staying at a resort, contact them. Many AI resorts are doing testing and offering a "quarantined" stay if you test positive.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by schmerl
. . . Many AI resorts are doing testing and offering a "quarantined" stay if you test positive.
At a price, maybe discounted but certainly not free. That's one way to fill rooms.

Old Feb 25th, 2021, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some places offer it free:
https://www.iberostar.com/seguro-iberostar-extra-care/
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 03:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by schmerl
That's good marketing on their part. I'd just read this, Marriott, for instance offering "up to 50% off" those with positive tests. The tests are apparently free.

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/hya...ree-covid-test
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 11:24 AM

Riu Hotels (a large Spanish owned chain similar to Iberostar) is doing the same:
"n addition to our safety measures already in place, and effective January 26th, our guests will now be able to take the COVID-19 antigen test on site, before returning to the U.S. at no additional cost for all adults and children. This service is available at all our resorts in Mexico (except RIU Plaza Guadalajara Hotel), Jamaica, Aruba and Punta Cana and will be provided by an accredited medical testing lab that complies with the requirements of the CDC.

Test results will be received within 72 hours prior to departure as required by the CDC, in written and/or electronic format. Guests should contact the Front Desk / Customer Service at each resort upon arrival to schedule departure testing.

In the unlikely event that a guest has been tested positive to COVID-19 during their stay, Riu Hotels will provide an extension at no cost of up to 10 days. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus travel companions sharing the same room. This policy is valid for travel until at least March 31, 2021 or until the regulations regarding this new requirement change."

Thiseems to be pretty common in the Riviera Maya, probably if you searched others such as Palace Resorts, Secrets and Sandos (NOT Sandals) you would find a similar policy.