Search

Costa Rica With An Injury

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica With An Injury

A few months ago, I tore my achilles tendon.
Through extensive rehab and recuperation, I am back to walking and doing limited activities.
My question is: would I still enjoy a trip to Costa Rica? I can walk, but I can't hike or anything like that.
Thank you for any advice.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Ouch!

Unfortunately, a lot of the things that are so wonderful about Costa Rica do require some hiking. You will have to pick very carefully as a lot of places like Manuel Antonio are built on hills. A place like Bosque del Cabo has lovely grounds to walk on if you can accept not being able to enjoy many of the trails. You can spend hours just around the cabina/pool area and enjoy yourself. You would still get to see a lot of wildlife and beautiful birds. Arenal Paraiso has some nice grounds but there is a good bit of walking to get around depending on where you are. There is a slow wildlife tour up at Cano Negro. Aerial trams where you can just ride on a gondola and enjoy the views. Not much wildlife seen from those but you can get a feel for the rainforests and other views depending on where you go. In Monteverde you can slowly wander around in the Butterfly Garden. There are places to sit and enjoy them. You could just sit and enjoy the hummingbirds at the hummingbird gallery up there as well.

How much can you walk?. There are places that have trails that don't require up and down hiking. Some of Selva Verdes trails are fairly level but you would have to cross a metal hanging bridge. You would have to stay in one of the river view rooms.

Only you can decide if it is still worth the money and time if you can't enjoy everything that you would really like to. On the other hand, it would at least give you a taste of what you can see in the future and maybe you can go back again.

Sometimes I just enjoy going to a quiet place by the beach and just relaxing. There are places for that.

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Ouch! My first inclination would be that you would miss out on a lot by not being able to hike around and fully enjoy the rainforests, parks, volcanos, etc of Costa Rica.

That being said, I know of plenty of people with limited mobility that have loved visiting Costa Rica...so I'm probably not the best to give you advice on this. There may be many tours and such that cater to those w/ limited mobility that I am unaware of...and the beaches and sunsets would still be terrific.

Good luck on your continued recovery!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM

In January 2006 my husband and I went on our honeymoon to CR. Several months prior, my husband had lost his leg in a work accident and had only begun using a prosthetic 5 weeks before our trip. His mobility was probably far more restrictive than yours (he could also walk, but had to stop a lot to adjust the prosthetic etc) and hiking was definitely out of the question. We were very worried but we needn't have been. There were plenty of easy trails in places like Manuel Antonio and in general he got around just fine. I think you'll have a marvelous time too!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very sweet replies. This gives us a lot to think about. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM

egret, what a bummer--so sorry! I agree there is plenty that you WILL be able to enjoy--go for it! Even Manuel Antonio, once you get shuttled down to the beach areas, is pretty easy to get around in with nice wide, flat trails though most of the park. Definitely places like La Paz.

This might be a good time for you to check out some of the more out of the way places. Places like the Caribbean side (Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo), Hotel Savegre down near San Gerardo de Dota, where you can enjoy short walks and see tons of birds right around the cabins--hummingbirds are so much fun to watch here; the Caribbean lowlands up near Selva Verde Lodge and La Selva Biological Station, even Tortuguero? How would you do boat riding? We LOVED Tortuguero--couldn't get enough of going out looking at wildlife in the boat. It was peaceful and enjoyable. This is the time for you to do some of THOSE things! Good luck and happy planning. I do hope you recover quickly. That's a nasty injury!