Search

Costa Rica vs. Panama

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica vs. Panama

My family and I went to Costa Rica two summers ago and had a great time. We are thinking of going to Panama this December break. I am worryed that Panama is very similar to Costa Rica. In Costa Rica, we went whitewater rafting, ziplining, waterfall rappelling, and seeing wildlife. We went to Arenal, Monteverde, Tortuguero, Playa Hermosa and Manuel Antonio. My son and I enjoying seeing wildife but my husband and daughter got bored with it after awhile. Has anyone been to both Costa Rica and Panama and can tell me if we would be disappointed if we went to Panama. We are thinking of going on the partial transit canal boat ride, monkey island, embera indian village, Miraflores lock visitor center,old city,metropolitan park, san blas island, bocas del toro and boquette. In Boquette we were thinking of hiking the Sendero Los Quetzales trail but was worried that the kids would feel it was too long. What do you think?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I think you've got some duplication issues with your agenda. Unless you have all kinds of time, I probably wouldn't do both the Embera Indian village and San Blas.
I'd just head to San Blas. It certainly isn't like any place I've been in Costa Rica. Beautiful beaches, good snorkeling, fascinating village. Relatively primitive accomodations. We loved it, including chasing the lizard out of the sink every morning.

I don't know if a partial transit of the canal and the Miraflores lock might be too much as well. I guess it depends on how fascinating you find the canal. One or the other would be enough for me. We did a full transit, and it was definitely 'overkill' for me.

I liked Bocas del Toro, although it rained most of the time we were there. It's interesting catching those little boats to go from island to island. Red Frog Beach on Bastimentos was beautiful. Bocas town itself is pretty funky.

We didn't go to Boquete, we were looking for heat, too cool for us there. I would like to get there one of these days.

There isn't near the tourist infrastructure that there is in Costa Rica. Not as many choices for accomodations, especially jungle lodges.

We did like Panama City though, safe to walk in. Lots of good and cheap restaurants. We should have spent another night or two there.

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM

No, in my opinion, there are big differences. The canal is wonderful. Miraflores Locks amazing. A train ride would be fun.

Dine at Manalo Caracol in PC. Excellent!

San Blas I hear is wonderful. The indigenous culture is much stronger in Panama. Be sure to buy a few molas! And if you'd pick up 4-5 for me (they're easy to pack!), I'd be happy to send the $$!

We loved Bocas, although it did rain every night, all through the night, and a few times lightly in the a.m. By 9:30 or so in the morning, it would clear and our day would begin. We were there in mid-July.

We also enjoyed Boquete--a lot. I think your family would enjoy that hotel near to or in La Amistad--is it Los Quetzales?

Good luck!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 07:49 AM

www.enjoypanama.com

Lots different than CR.Developed areas more developed primitive
ares lots more primitive and harder to get to.

Usually do PC area

Boquete for cloud forest

www.isla-contadora.com

San Blas or Bocas much the same feel.

Have Fun,
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM

If you decide Panama and Costa Rica have too many similarities, you might want to look into Belize. My family went there this summer and had an amazing time. We had previously gone to Costa Rica and thought nothing could top that but we had an equally wonderful time in Belize. We split our time between the inland and the island of Ambergris Caye. We had lots of adventure hiking Mayan ruins, seeing amazing caves, snorkeling, etc. I did post a trip report so if that interests you just click on my name and you should be able to find it.