Search

Costa Rica vs. Belize ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica vs. Belize ?

Hi,
I would like to start by saying how much I enjoy reading the posts here and how helpful everyone seems to be.

That said, I would like to ask for some advice about an upcoming trip.
A buddy of mine and I are planning a week long "guys trip" to getaway and relax, have some fun, dive, etc... We're both 35 and are looking for a place that has great diving, some night life and maybe some other exploring to do...
Would like opinions and suggestions for visiting Costa Rica or Belize in late Feb / early March.
Thanks a ton!
Mike
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 03:25 PM

If diving is a high priority, I think it's much better in Belize. Ambergris Caye in Belize sounds like it may be the perfect spot for you. Costa Rica has lots of fun things to do, hiking and rafting and the volcanos are really awesome. I haven't spent any time in Belize besides Ambergris, so I don't know how the jungle tours compare to those in Costa Rica. Jean
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. I think I'm leaning that way.
Mike
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 08:38 AM

Diving is definitely better in Belize (so I'm told - I have been diving in Belize but not CR). More experienced travelers have told me that they find Belize to be much like Costa Rica was 10 or 20 years ago although Engish is spoken everywhere in Belize (it's the official language) and that makes it easier for some of us.

Caye Caulker is closer to the good diving sites than Ambergris and is a bit cheaper and more laid back. Night life is not non-existent but is limited and very low key. he best diving in Belize is done from the dive lodges but they tend to be out on hte reef areas and there is absolutely no night life - they are very isolated.

Have you considered Cozumel? Airfare to Cancun is often very reasonable and there's a cheap air conditioned expres bus service from cancun airport to the ferry pier in Play del Carmen. RT total for bus and ferry combined is about $20 or so and takes about 90 minutes to two hours tops.

There's a bit more nightlife in Coz (not a lot but IMHO more than in Caye caulker or Ambergris). More significant is that the diving is INCREDIBLE. No disrespect intended towards the diving options in Belize but Cozumel blows it away - there's just no camparison as a diving destination.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Owen and thanks for the info.
I did not realize that the diving was so much better in Cozumel. I had only heard ok things about it.
I've dove the Keys, the Caymans, Sea of Cortez and USVI but not Cozumel....
Can you relate some of the particulars?
My direct email addy is [email protected] if you'd like to use that.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Go to Belize my friend. Then go to a little place called Tabacco Caye, about 45 minutes off the coast of Dangriga. Just search on "google" or contact [email protected] a jungle adventure and advise. or email me @ [email protected]. for information.I've been to Belize about 20 times and it is great!