Costa Rica Trip Report Part 1 of 3

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - My husband and I (both 30) got back from Costa Rica last weekend and I finally got some time to write about it. Since the trip would not have been as smooth as it was without you - I wanted to share my experiences to possibly help out others who are planning their trips and to say thank you to those who helped us!!!

It will be in 3 parts (1 - San Jose, 2 - Monteverde, 3 - Arenal).

Part 1 San Jose/DOKA Coffee Plantation/POAS/La Paz Waterfall Gardens:

The trip didn't start off well since our flight from newark had a 1 hour layover in Miami that turned into 3 hours. So at this point my husband and I were started getting worried because each minute delayed at the airport would take away from our day planned for San Jose. We had planned out a Self Guided City Walk, with where to eat, what to see, etc.

So we finally board the flight in Miami and when we land in San Jose, we learn that we cannot get off the plane because the Immigration Computer System was down! They had 10 planes lined up filled with passengers that could not get off their flights either. So when we finally got off, we were faced with a 3.5 hour line through immigration. It was horrible! Needless to say - our day in San Jose was over since it was 5 PM at this point.

Once out of that mess, we walked outside to see a man holding a Marriot sign and were quickly boarded onto their shuttle. It was chaos outside of airport since there were LOTS of people trying to get taxis, shuttles, picked up, etc at the same time! The Marriot is about 10 minutes from the airport and is beyond gorgeous. It is built on an old coffee plantation and the architechture is beautiful. It has a spanish old fort type of a feel with lots of plants, open center where you can look down and see all the rooms and a water fountain. The staff was amazing - they were all very helpful and upon our request put us in a top level room facing the coffee plantation side. So we could wake up, open the balcony and get amazing views! The pool is beautiful, they have an indoor gym, 2 restaurants - we ate at Antigua and highly recommend it. I had the Casado (typical Costa Rican meal) and it was great and reasonably priced! Although our day was ruined since we couldn't go to San Jose downtown - we didn't mind since we spent all evening walking around and discovering the hotel and the grounds. There is a gift shop, with unlimted coffee and chocolate samples, pastry shop, travel agent (for tour packages), bar area, outdoor seating for the bar and restaurant, spa, tennis court - you really cannot be bored here. The only issue is that there is nothing in walking distance of the hotel so you can't go anywhere else to eat unless you take a taxi. A taxi to San Jose downtown costs $15 each way.

Here is the Marriot Site with photos of the hotel:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...otel-san-jose/

The next day we had booked a tour package to see the Doka Coffee Plantation, POAS Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens as a day tour from San Jose through the following:
http://www.centralamerica.com/cr/tours/waterfall.htm

I would highly recommend this company. They were on time to pick us up in the hotel. The van was very roomy and comfortable (can stand up in it, not one of those small ones), the guide was very nice and spoke english very well. He began explaining about the local area, the plants, the trees, the town, the history, everything we passed along the way was explained to us in detail. It was excellent. He would even stop along the way if we saw something we wanted to photograph and was very very patient. Our group had 11 people in total.

Our first stop was the Doka Coffee Plantation. It was a very well maintained plantatation, very clean, well manicured. Breakfast was included with the package - with Rice and Beans, Scrammbled Eggs, Watermelon, Tortillas, Juice, and 5 different types of Coffee (Doka ofcourse!). Then the tour began in which our guide should us how plants are grown, picked, we got to pick some berries. Then how they are washed, dried, roasted, etc. Along each step we were allowed to touch, smell and feel the coffee beans at different stages of the process. Everything also had signs explaining what the process was. The pace was very good since you were not rushed and were explained everything in detail. But at the same time - it was not boring and was quick enough since we had a lot planned for the day. Then it ends at their gift shop ofcourse. Everything was overpriced except the coffee which was the cheapest there than anywhere else. The Doka Coffee was from $5 up (depending on the roast) and you get 1 free if you buy 6. It was $8 everywhere else without the buy 6 get 1 free sale - so we bought lots of coffee for gifts here. I recommend stocking up here since it is reasonably priced and very tastey (Supposedly better than Britt).

The next stop was POAS Volcano. So you drive into the POAS Volcano National Park where the bus parks. From there you have to walk about 10 minutes with plenty of bathrooms along the way! You get to see a lot of different types of plants, ferns, flowers along the way. Once you arrive at the volcano crater it takes your breath away - both visually and literally (since the smell of sulfur is so strong!). We were very very lucky that we could see the volcano clearly as it was a beautiful day with no clouds. We had a chance to take lots of pictures, take it all in and enjoy the views for about 20 minutes. There is a small platform about 5-20 steps higher where you can stand and take more pictures. Other thant that, you just walk along the rim. Our guide gave a brief explanation of the Volcano, the history, the smells, etc and we headed back to the van.

The next stop was La Paz Waterfall Gardens which was one of the highlights of our entire trip. You begin with walking through the grounds seeing lots of tropical plants, flowers, birds, hummingbirds, butterflies. It was all so beautiful and well maintained. We went to another hummingbird garden (Monteverde) and butterfly garden (Arenal) and many in the US and they were very poorly kept. Sometimes you dont even see any butterlfies or birds - but at the La Paz garden has such a large variety of birds and butterflies and in great abundance. Everything was absolutely amazing! We were able to see all stages of the butterflies - they show you the eggs, caterpillars, cocoons, butterlies hatching out of the cocoons and ofcourse the hundred of butterflies just flying around your head landing on beauiful flowers and plants. It was like heaven! I didn't want to leave. Then we went to their restaurant for an included lunch which was wonderful as well. It was a buffet with everything from pizza, hot dogs, french fries to costa rican dishes like rice and beans, plantain bananas, grilled chicken. There is a salad bar, juices, and desert as well. It was nice. The restaurant was very well decorated - I am assuming it is the same theme and decor as the peace lodge. They had a small waterfall in the restaurant, the bathrooms were very interesting as well. After lunch we saw poisonous frogs, snakes, orchids, and hiked down to see all the waterfalls. This was a very pretty hike looking back compared to all the other hikes we did on the trip. Each time you come to a waterfall, it is more beautful than the last. There were lots of photo ops on this hike and once again you have to take notice of all the plants and flowers along the way as well. The very last waterfall was down many steep steps which I excitedly went down to see the waterfall - not even thinking that these are the same steps I have to come back up!! It was a tough hike back up but totally worth it. Other than that, the hike was very easy.

So this marked the end of the tour package which was GREAT! It was a full day with 2 meals and transportation for a great price. So I highly recommend this tour operator.

We asked to be dropped off in San Jose rather than our hotel (thus saving a taxi trip . When being dropped off, 2 american girls got off with us who were in CR studying and warned us to be careful because many of their friends had been mugged at gun point! So this scared the heck out of us and we ended up really not enjoying San Jose since we were so uptight the whole time. I will chime in with everyone else on this board - do not stop in San Jose - move on!!!

We saw the National Theater but were not allowed inside, saw the cathedral, walked along the main avenue where they have the shops. Looking back, we should've just been droped off at the hotel because we were not impressed with San Jose. Maybe if we hadn't been told about the gunpoint story, we would've been more relaxed. For dinner we decided to check out El Pueblo. A taxi from San Jose down town to El Pueblo is $2. We get there and though we were dropped of at the wrong place because it was totally dead! No one was walking around, the shops were all closed, there were only 2 restaurants open. We were there on a Sunday evening around 5:30 and it was deserted.

So we had dinner at Papa Pez which was pretty good. It was very reasonably priced and the food and atmosphere was nice. Once again, it was deserted and quiet though. So overall - we were not impressed by San Jose downtown and feel we could've skipped it altogether and not miss anything.

After this, we took a taxi back to the hotel which was about $15. We walked around the hotel grounds, had some wine on our balcony and caught the Desperate Housewives episode on tv! It was a wonderful 1st day in Costa Rica!

We took over 2,000 photos! I have posted some of them at the following site. So far just San Jose is up - more to come!!

http://www.dotphoto.com
ID: NS
Password: CR

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Sorry about your rough start, but it sounds like you had a great first day once you got settled in! We stayed at the San Jose Marriott our last night in Costa Rica in May and found it to be a really beautiful property as well. The coffee tour sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Thanks

Looking forward to the rest of your trip report!

Keith
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Welcome back, lt! I'm so glad you had fun. We had a 2-hour wait time at the airport, so I feel your pain. Glad things improved after that. The Waterfall Gardens are amazing - that was one of the highlights of our trip too. Looking forward to more...
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I have a question for everyone who has travelled to Costa Rica. Would you recommend vacationing there pregnant? My husband and I are looking for a spring getaway but I will be four and a half months pregnant then. Please advise if this is a good trip to take. Thanks.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM

luvtravelin,
Great trip report and pictures. Sorry about the bad start of your trip, but I hope after that everything worked as planned. From what I see, you had a great time.

How was the trip to Poas Volcano? We’ll probably have about a day (or maybe a day and a few extra hours in the afternoon) at Peace Lodge. Do you thin we can take a tour to Poas? Would that be doable? Thanks

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

ShellD - you stayed there too? It was so pretty, right? very relaxing way to start a vacation.

Keith - yes more to come...

VOlcanogirl - yeah surprisingly I really loved the waterfall gardens. I wasn't expecting to see so much and for it to be so organized, clean, well maintained, and I felt it has something for everyone whether you want to go to hike, see the animals, eat, relax, etc.

csmith331 - depends on what you want to do while in CR. If you want to go to the beach or relax at a resort - sure you can go if pregnant. If you want to do the hikes, zip lines, and the other outdoor activities that are more strenuous - then obviously not. I always thought CR is known more for the outdoor, adventureous activities so its up to you...

xyz99 - thanks! yes, we had a blast! Well POAS is only 30 minutes from the Peace Lodge so you can definitely do it. Once you are there you need 20 minutes for the walk to the Volcano (10 min to it, 10 min back). You really don't need a lot of time at the volcano, infact our guide said it is not recommended because of the sulfur gas. So lets say you stay 20-25 min, you only need maximum 1 hour fo the whole excursion. So if you have a car - you should drive there. If not, I looked online and noticed that the Peace LOdge has a tour to POAS and Doka Coffee Plantation for $65: http://www.waterfallgardens.com/lapaz-peacelodge.html
So I feel that is a bit pricey since we paid $75 for an all day tour for Doka, POAS, La Paz with breakfast and lunch. But if you are interested in seeing it and don't have a car - it is an option. ANother option would be to take a taxi there and back? Hope this helps.

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 06:10 AM

luvtravelin,
Thank you – I did not realize Poas was so close to the Peace Lodge. We will not have a car there, but we’ll probably be able to arrange for a taxi (I hope). The organized tour is a ‘day tour’ combined with a coffee plantation visit, and I don’t think we’ll have that much time. For me, the full day that we have at the Peace Lodge will be better spent seeing the waterfalls, frogs and hummingbirds. Thanks again.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Jed

Keeping all parts of a TR on one thread makes it easy for your readers to follow it.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jed - I guess I should've thought of that earlier well only 1 more part to go...
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM

What time did you go to Paos? We went there at 10 am and it was so foggy and impossible to see anything. You were so lucky!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM

luvtravelin,
Many thanks for the email the photos are amazing! I am looking forward to our adventure.

Ribota
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

ktny333 - Yeah we were there on 12/2 around 10:30/11 am and it was totally visable (as can be seen by the photos). Were you there on that day also?

ribota - thanks! Glad you are enjoying the photos - they don't do justice to the real thing!