Costa Rica Trip report (Tues - Sun)

Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Trip report (Tues - Sun)

We arrived at San Jose airport late (10M) on a Tuesday evening and easily got through customs. Outside, there was transportation waiting for us sent from Finca Rosa Blanca. Our luggage was loaded onto the back of the SUV and the driver talked to us through the 20 minute ride. It's hard to judge the area in the darkness, but all seemed calm and before we knew it, we were at our destination. The place looked gorgeous. There was a huge rod iron gate leading up the house . Our driver put our suitcases unto a golf cart and took us to our room. The room was spacious and very colorful and comfortable. There is no need for air conditioning since the weather is a little on the cool side (there are also no tv's, although there are several computers in the main areas which are free to guest and work very well). After a few oohs and ahhs we settle in for the night.

Wednesday we awaken to a beautiful, bright day. I made coffee in the room using the coffee from the plantation (which they provide) and took my cup to the balcony. I could see bougenvillas in all different colors surrounding our balcony. There were birds everywhere and the temperaturewas darned near perfect. After a very nice and typical breakfast of rice, beans, tortillas, eggs and coffee, we walk around the pool and gardens. There is a tour of the plantation, but it is not cheap and our husbands weren't sure they want to do it, so we asked if we could walk the grounds on our own and were given the green light to wander. Lucky for us, we ran into the horse keeper, Geraldo, who took it upon himself to give us a tour (free). I had never seen coffee bushes, and thank goodness Geraldo was there or I would have missed them. These were very young plants growing along side bananas, mangos, papayas, citrus trees and herbs. I don't think there is anything that doesn't grow in this fertile ground. We had made arrangements to be picked up by CostaRicaShuttle.com at 1:3-pm and they arrived timely, with a very nice, air conditioned mini van driven by none other than Jorge. This man knows all about his country and is willing to share his knowledge and answer any questions. On the drive to Arenal, he stopped at a place where the guys could buy real Cuban and Costa Rican hand rolled cigars. He also stopped for us to pick up a very typical snack of cheese sticks and coconut cookies. Although it was a long 3 hours drive to Arenal, the scenery along the way was great (and so was the road). We arrived at Tabacon just in time for dinner at their restaurant (over priced and not that good) and a nice soaking in the thermal pools. There is a hotel van that takes you from the pools to the main hotel, about a 3-5 min drive. We were tired and ready to get a good night's sleep for the next adventure in the morning. More to come....
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:31 AM

wow sounds wonderful thanks for posting...
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Looking forward to the rest of your report! Costa Rica is one of my favorite destinations!
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Can you or anyone else tell me where the store is located to buy the Cubans? As appalling disgusting as I find cigars I know my husband would LOVE to smoke one on the balcony of our hotel. Thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM

The cigar place......could that have been in San Ramon? We stopped off at that place (wife was Costa Rican and the husband was Cuban) and not only bought some fabulous cigars but they taught me how to roll one! It was one of those vacation highlights. What a hoot!