Search

Costa Rica Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Trip Report

Someone said I posted this on the wrong board. It is also on the latin board. If redundant, I apologize. I will warn you it is a very long trip report. The info gathered from this board was invaluable to me planning this trip.

http://tonisstory.blogspot.com

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM

You posted on the correct place both times .... They are one and the same . No worries .... Super report and pictures . Faith
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Thanks Toni.

I'm going to Costa Rica in about a month and I really was taken with the Keens. Do you know exactly what style of Keens you have?

Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Loved your trip report. Makes me want to go...
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:22 AM

parrmt - LOVED your report and pictures thanks. We were in Tamarindo in May and loved the area but now have a desire to travel to more remote places (don't know if I let my 51 yr. old husband read your post, if I'd get him there _ Puma's, fast moving water, 5 ft. waves... OH, MY!!!!) I bought Keens for the trip too (don't know if there are other styles like One2travel is asking) but these were almost $90.00 and others say their "cheaper" shoes worked well too, but, I can attest to the Keens traction, I like not only the closed toe but the sides turn up for side protection too. I now use mine for hiking in the mountains.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Faithie, a friend could not open the web site @ work, firewall?? No pics, no text. She could not find it on the CR board, But it still isn't on the CR board. Oh well!! I am still Computer illiterate !
One2travel...Newport Keens is the style we went with. I believe REI and other sites now have them on sale. I bought mine online (kids size) for 44.00. Beats the 90.00 for regular size. A kids size 4 fit my size 5/ 6 just fine. They are highly highly recommended!! I will be wearing mine for years. They are just great.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Tony,

Loved your report! It's gotta be one of the best I've ever read. Thank you so much for taking the time to say it all so well! You made Bosque del Cabo come alive for me again, and for a moment, I was there. Enjoyed hearing about Phillip, Eduardo, and Gerly. We enjoyed all of them so much over a year ago. Loved the night hike, the birding, and Gerly was so efficient and energetic!

Your photos were wonderful. I especially liked the one of the Keens--how original! I want the red Keens. We ordered some from Land's End (as recommended on this board) this past summer for $39 and have liked them, but the Keens look great and I'm sure much better over the long haul.

I enjoyed your birding references and the photos especially of the Fiery Billed Aracaris--saw several up close and personal at Dominical in July (first time for me) and I thought they were so beautiful!

Again, can't tell you enough how I appreciate your taking the time to share so wonderfully with all of us! Sounds like they have made a lot of changes at BdC--we can't wait to go back! It won't be soon enough. . . .Jill
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Jill/Shillmac, Did I see you recently had a trip to CR? Where did you go? I appreciated all your input when I planned this trip. This board is really great! Glad you enjoyed the trip report, we had quite a time. And yes the Keens were fantastic. Toni
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Hi Toni,
We were there during the month of July. I've already forgotten from your report--you were there in August?
We had 4 wonderful weeks and were coast to coast. We visited La Quinta in the Rio Sarapiqui area, stayed just south of Poasito for a couple of days in the highlands, Dominical, Savegre (at San Gerardo de Dota), Monteverde, Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo, Turrialba (Casa Turire), Hotel La Finca Que Ama (with Neta and Arbel), Montezuma, and Flamingo/Tamarindo.

We were in and out of Hotel Villa Bonita (in Alajuela) between adventures. Had such a wonderful time--we've not been home 6 weeks yet and I'm so "homesick" I could croak!

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:59 PM
fae

Parrmt - when were you at BDC? We have been to the OSA twice - always end of July to beginning of Aug. but did not have the amount of rain you had.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Fae, we were actually there the first week of June. We were surprised it was so rainy b\c the Green season was just starting. It did not bother us at all, in fact several times it was nice to get the coolng off so to speak!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Toni,

Thank you so much for this report!! My husband and I went to BDC for the first time at the beginning of July (we moved into our house as soon as we returned, so my trip report STILL needs to be posted!) and it was easily one of the best places that we have ever been. The people were wonderful and we had so many good wildlife sightings. After reading your report, we began to discuss when we could go back!! Thanks again, it truly is a special place.

Melissa
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Melissa, well as you can see I started mine well after we were back, then finally finished it and posted it. So please post yours !! I am alyays looking for reports . Glad you enjoyed Bosque, I want to go again , but it will probably be in a year or so. Toni
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM

Toni,
Thank you so much for writing such a terrific trip report. All the details and pictures made it come alive.
Very Best,
Gem
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:18 AM

WOW! Fantastic trip report. I love the pictures and was laughing out loud about the sunglasses in the water. I've printed this out for my husband to read. We are leaving in four weeks and thanks to your trip report, we have a better idea of what to do and see.