Search

Costa Rica travel---HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica travel---HELP!

My husband and I would like to plan a trip to Costa Rica and I have searched the internet high and low for information. My problem is that I have TOO MUCH information! I can't decide! Costa Rica has so much to offer, but it's all so spread out, you can't do it all in one trip, and I just don't know what to choose! My husband and I went to Belize last summer and were spoiled by the beauty and simplicity. I'm afraid that no other tropical destination will ever compare, though I have been told Costa Rica is even better. However, through my research, it appears that much of Costa Rica is VERY touristy and that's a huge turn-off for us. So can someone help? We're adventurous and open minded, in good shape (though I will be 6 months pregnant when we plan to go), and we prefer cabina style accomodations rather than big chain resorts. We LOVE rainforest hiking, swimming in natural waterfalls and springs, horseback riding, snorkling, meeting interesting people, learning local culture, and shopping for local handmade crafts. Our visit will be limited to about 4 days, which adds to the whole "too much to doo, too little time" delima. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Perhaps list activities that you like to do and types of places you enjoy to see.

The 2 most touristy places are Manuel Antonio and Tamarindo.

You are right that you have many options. Osa, Arenal, Guanacaste, Monteverde etc.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

I apologize, I thought I did list the things we enjoy doing. We like rainforest hikes, swimming in natural waterfalls and springs, horseback riding, snorkling, meeting interesting people, learning local culture, shopping for local handmade art and crafts..... we like quaint villages, and unspoiled nature. I want to see wildlife in it's natural habitat. When I leave the United States I do not want to feel that I am still in the United States. If I see a McDonalds or a Home Depot, I will be upset. We do enjoy some "sites", but if I have to sit on my husband's shoulders just to be able to see over a sea of cruise ship tourists, I'll pass. We love trying local cuisine, and dislike watered down versions of local dishes meant to satisfy a tourist's tastes. We feel that emerging oneself in a new culture/environment, even if only for a few days, enhanses one's life in a profound way.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:06 AM

It will be difficult to do a lot in four days. Our absolutely favorite place was Hacienda Baru - you would love it, but it is a five-hour drive.

We did the jungle overnight trip - fantastic experience. Much better than glimpsing those poor monkeys (and their declining habitat due to development) in between hotels at MA. Check out Baru's website.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM

If it is limited to 4 days, I suggest staying in Arenal. The caño negro tour is a great tour to see animals. You can take a tour on the volcano. They have canopy and horseback riding there also.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hacienda Baru does sound wonderful, and I love the idea of overnight tours. 5 hours is a terribly long drive though---I wonder if they have any puddle jumper flights to that area.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Another place I've seen that looks interesting is Almonds & Corals on the Carribbean side. While I'm intrigued with the whole "tent camp" idea, I've really never stayed anywhere that rustic before. I've read both positive and negetive reviews of the place, and to me it looks like it would have a sort of "girlscout camp" feel to it. Has anyone stayed here? If so, I'd love to hear from you.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM

One suggestion would be Lapa Rios on Osa Peninsula. Beautiful rainforest, lots of nature, and very romantic. It's best to take a short flight there from San Jose. Forget shopping for handicrafts. Costa Rica isn't big on handicrafts. Most come from Guatemala. Bring home some good coffee for gifts for friends. You can't find better.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Look at www.lacarolinalodge.com
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at Lapa Rios and it looks devine, but with a baby on the way we are on a pretty tight budget, and I just don't think we can afford it for this trip. I'd definitely like to stay there sometime when we have more time and money to devote to a vacation though. In fact, I'd love to take about 10 or 12 days and split the time between Lapa Rios and Morgan's Rock. Maybe next year we can do just that. Thanks for the tip about handicrafts, Marcia. I know Belize was the same way, though we did find some wonderful hand woven items from Guatamala. Fiveholmes, I was flaberghasted when I looked at the website for LaCarolina Lodge. It seemed to have almost every element I described, and while the rooms don't appear to be the most luxurious, the price is unbelievable! The picture of the waterfall with the azure water was spectacular and inviting. For the lodge to offer a room, all meals, horseback riding, and guided hikes for less than my husband and I would spend on dinner out is just incredible. Then to be surrounded by rainforest and wildlife while hanging out on a Costa Rican farm, wow. We may very well have a winner. Thank you so much to everyone who offered suggestions!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Check out Bosque de Paz too. Run by a local family, a wonderful unspoiled village next door. but very quiet. You can also know your dollars are going to preserve rain forest. Look for my travelogue (click on my name) or just to go to the website. Friends of mind went there for a weekend in the rainy season (last Oct I believe) and had a great time. It never is touristy... since it only has 20 rooms. Its also an easy drive from SJ. check it out.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Bosque de Paz does look lovely. Thank you for the suggestion. It's so great to have a place where I can get good, honest travel advice from people who have been there. I never would have found some of these places, such as Bosque de Paz and La Carolina from just surfing the web on my own.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:13 AM

I agree. CR talk is especially good. I discovered this website when I went there dec 2004 and have used it to plan every vacation since. Other boards are not as active but I've always found it useful.. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I have not stayed at Lacarolina, a friend who visits CR regularly stays there. He says the food is fantastic, the couple who run it are great and that it is rustic beauty.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Airline hoppers are Sansa or Nature Air. I've taken both. 25 lb. luggage weight limit.

Have been to CR many times. With 4 days, I would focus on Osa penninsula. La Paloma lodge was one of my best travel experiences. Fantastic food, great people. (Note, stay in bungalow if you plan on being romantic or absolutely need privacy, otherwise the main building is fine - just open for sound.

If you need a cheap overnight hotel, try Brilla del Sol. About $40, airport transport and dinner included.