Costa Rica: should I rent a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Costa Rica in April with my kids, ages 6 and 8. We'll spend three nights at the Arenal Observatory, three nights near Monteverde (El Sol), 2 nights at Samara (Kalimba), and then 3 nights at Playa Flamingo? We fly in/out of San Jose.

1. I wouldn't mind depending on a transport service to get us from place to place, but am wondering if we should just rent a car for the entire time? Alternatively, I'm thinking we might want to rent a car in Monteverde. Would we feel stuck in any of these places without a car? Once near the beach, we really don't plan on doing much but playing in the sand/water. Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. How long is the drive from Monteverde to Samara? And from Samara to Playa Flamingo?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM

For Arenal Observatory Lodge, the road connecting it with everything else is 10 km of dirt, gravel, and little annoying potholes. It took us about 20-25 minutes each way in the daylight with our mini-SUV. I saw taxis on the road, so they certainly serve the place, but I'd consider renting a car just so you don't feel completely stranded there. It's not a necessity, but I'd look into it.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM

We certainly enjoy the freedom of a rental vehicle. The roads are very manageable. Potholes, yes, in places. It isn't that big a deal, truly. There are several areas to explore near Samara (Playa Carillo, for sure) and Flamingo (Playa Potrero, Conchal, Brasilito, Tamarindo to name a few). I'd go with the rental. 4 wheel drive.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Just returned from Guanacaste area on the 18th, our first trip to C.R. and it was magnificent!!

Rent a car! You are able to go on adventure drives that way!

We rented a Nissan X-Trail from Tricolor (on advice from this forum), we are SO glad we did...and are very glad we had 4WD! We wouldn't have been able to climb the "driveway" in the dark on our late arrival (will post the story later) and wouldn't have had the fun of driving "The Congo Trail"!

Kids would love the excitement of the washboard gravel road with cows being herded down the middle and then crossing the mountains. Gorgeous views and fun! The Congo Trail Canopy Tour is on this road and I would highly recommend it, they also have butterflies, frogs, snakes & a couple of non-releasable monkeys that are sure to captivate the "kid" in everyone.

In Portegolpe on the road from Interamericana Hwy to Playa Flamingo is Monkey Park. It is definitely worth a stop! They have several non-releasalbe animals that they show you and explain why they are there. They also do rehab and release (done properly too...I am a wildlife rehabilitator here so was very interested and impressed).

In Playa Flamingo there is a little soda/bar/bakery called Le Castillo right on a corner. Food & service were fantastic! Owners are transplants from CA (she is blonde, if you stop there tell her the North & South Carolinians that traveled the Congo Trail to get there sent you.

There is also a wonderful waterfall (great swimming place for kids..not deep)near Bagaces.

Will do a full synopsis of our adventures soon! Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the wonderful advice before our trip...it was all very helpful!!

Beth
Wild at Heart Wildlife Rehabilitation
Polk Co., NC
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM

We were in CR 3 years ago. Rented a car in San Jose and drove to Arenal,Monteverde, and several places along the coast. If you drive during daylight hours you shouldn't have any problems with the potholes. We were in a car, not an SUV.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:05 AM

Given that you are going in April and staying at the Observatory, I would highly recommend spending the extra money and get a true 4wheel-drive.

As far as renting the whole time and driving to each place, questions to consider about yourself. Have you driven outside of the US before? Are you comfortable with the fact that you might miss a turn (signage is poor) and have to backtrack or even ask directions? if this downright scares you, then consider getting a driver - if you view this as part of (or even adding to) your adventure, then go for it. Each person is going to be different. Your trip is not meant to be overly stressful for you and your family - only you (or your significant other) will be able to answer that about yourselves. You can always rent a car at the different areas for a day or two.

Enjoy your trip!!