Search

Costa Rica Shots??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Shots??

Hello there,
I am wanting some feedback on the need for shots in CR. I will be in Puerto Viejo for 1 week and then Osa Penninsula for 1 week. I was thinking Hep. A and Thyphoid? I have limited experience traveling out of the country. The Lonely Planet suggest those and a couple others. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!!!!!

Is there a Malaria risk?
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:33 AM

We didn't take any shots or meds before we went to the Osa, but of course it's a personal decision. We were just careful to wear repellant each day and didn't have any problems; some people do take preventative meds for malaria. When I was there, Dengue fever was in the news on the Caribbean side, but there's no preventative medication for that.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM

My personal view is everyone should be vaccinated against Hepatitis A, and probably B, whether they travel or not. Hepatitis A is endemic in Central America. The vaccine isn't all that expensive, and it's safe and relatively painless.

We took typhoid pills (the pill vaccine lasts five years, the shot only two), I think before we went to the Osa. Better safe than sorry.

Make sure your tetanus is up to date.

Malaria outbreaks seem to come and go. I haven't been to Costa Rica in a few years, last time I was there, there was an outbreak in Jaco. The pills are cheap and relatively side effect free (at least Chloroquine is). If you're concerned, take the pills.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM

I agree that everyone should have Hep A and B, and boosters for childhood immunizations like measles and polio. I've never taken typhoid or malaria pills for CR.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM

But you should talk to a travel clinic. Most doctors are not up to date on the subject.

p.s. there is practically no risk of malaria in the Osa. There is some malaria risk in Puerto Viejo. But it's all relative. It's nothing like Brazil or Africa. Plus, plasmodium falciparum (the most dangerous form) is nearly unheard of in CR. While I took malaria pills when I went to South Africa because PF is so prevalent, I didn't when I went to CR.