Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica: Rafting and Waterfalls in Late Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Friends - I've been searching the boards in prep for my first trip to Costa Rica. I'd love to do some rafting, but am wondering if rafting is "worth" it during the dry season. Any insight? If water levels will be such that the ride will be placid or tame, I might rather use my limited time on other activities.

On the same note, how are the waterfall hikes (and rappelling) during the dry season? I'm planning on hiking the La Paz Waterfall Gardens and will look into rappelling falls if they're not too weak/dry.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Each of our trips to CR have been in Feb.

Worth it? YES!

We rafted the Pacuare river in Feb, fabulous fun. Hiked to La Fortuna Waterfall and La Paz. Never rappelled.

We also rafted (more of a float) on the Corobici, nice scenery, but nearly flat during the time we were there.

So I guess, waterfalls and rafting within central CR is better this time of year - than say a waterfall on the coast. Or rafting near the coast.

Hope that helps

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dfarmer. Your mssg confirms we'll raft and take in the waterfalls! Thanks! I'll probably be posting w/ additional questions soon...Take care!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM

What about the water level of the rivers near MA - such as Savegre or Naranjo in mid- February. I ahve the same concern that it would'nt be worth the time as it might be a bit too tame...?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM

I think in the dry season the best rafting is in Manuel Antonio. This is what I found in youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg6pkUmUhrU (38 sec)
This is a fast view of the beauty and challenge that this section offers. A real different kind of rafting. Runs December through May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jactthuP4i4 (9min.)
This video is very comprehensive. It was a big trip. It shows all the people at the waterfall listening to the safety talk, then the rescue practice they do before the BIG rapids start. The guy going crazy on the kayak is there for safety and you’ll see him throughout the video. It shows some of the rapids, in order of appearance, Stairway, Dragon’s Mouth, Bombaclath (quality river surfing), Chorro (from upstream) and Noname. If anybody says there is no good rafting during the summer, they have not paddle Chorro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baaqf...eature=related (4 min.)
This is a shorter video because it is a 1 raft trip with the safety kayaker. Showing rapids like Stairway, Dragon’s Mouth, Dragon’s Tail, Bombaclath, Chorro. Sorry, no more cliff jumping. And last but not least the surf hole. This is the best half day rafting trip Costa Rica.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM

And another original post from 2007...