Search

Costa Rica itinerary question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica itinerary question

Hi Everyone!

I have read many itineraries for CR and noticed most people on their first visit will fly into SJO and drive to Arenal area then down to Manuel Antonio. We are going NOV 28 - DEC 6. The hotels in Arenal are charging more if we go our first few days to Arenal due to those days being part of the Thanksgiving holiday. However, I found places in MA not charging extra due to the holiday. So I thought about reversing the itinerary to start with MA. Is there a reason most people start with Arenal and end with MA?

This is what I have so far for our itinerary - bad, good, do I need to rethink?

Day 1-3 Quepos/ Manuel Antonio

Day 4-5 Monteverde

Day 6-9 La Fortuna/Arenal

Thank you so much for reading and any advise is much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 10:45 AM

I say, no problem reversing the itinerary.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 11:29 AM

I think most people tend to do it that way because they like to relax at the beach at the end of their vacation. That's why we do it, but you can do it in whatever order suits you best.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 01:54 PM
RAC

At the risk of stating the obvious, there's no reason you need to see either of those places on your first trip. Tons of places in CR worth seeing.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 02:05 PM

And further there is no necessity to go to Monteverde either.

Just depends on what activities you are are interested in. There are coffee tours near Alajuela, for example (Doka Estate) that you can do your last night before flying home.

I stayed on both sides of Arenal (the Observatory lodge for a few nights and then the last nights on the La Fortuna side. The Observatory Lodge is also near some hanging bridges (and has some smaller ones on the site).

So you could also do both sides of Arenal and Dominical/MA with an extra night in Alajuela before heading home.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for responding.

For the Arenal area we are interested in the hanging bridges, Arenal Volcano hike, and the hot springs. I tried to book the Nayara Hotel but it is booked. I am waiting to hear back from The Springs resort. We did not have our heart set on the Monteverde area. We thought we could do the sugar cane and coffee plantation tours and a guided tour of Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve. However, I did read about the Alajuela area and it has piqued our interest. For the MA area we have booked a room at the Tulemar due to VG's mentioning it in another chat board. VG, Thanks!

Now we are considering this itinerary:

Day 1-3 Manuel Antonio

Day 4-5 Alajuela

Day 6-9 Arenal

Would you recommend two nights in Alajuela or add another night in Arenal? mlgb, you mentioned doing both sides of Arenal. I am not sure if I really know the difference to both sides?

Again, thank you all!
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 07:30 AM
RAC

I would recommend Alajuela at the beginning or the end since that is where the airport is.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Oh, good, yes, we love Tulemar. I think you'll be really happy there. I agree with RAC and would do the Alajuela area at the end since you'll have to catch your flight out there. It sounds like you like upscale hotels; you might take a look at staying at the Peace Lodge at the end of your trip. You can do Poas and the Doka Coffee estate from there. It's about an hour from the airport.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Yes, Alajuela at the end.

The "east side" is around the town of La Fortuna. You have more distant volcano view, but it is closer to more of the hot springs, restaurants, the waterfall, and the travel agencies.

On the 'west side' it is closer to the lake and to Monteverde. I stayed at Arenal Observatory Lodge, with a different view and more wildlife (monkeys, snakes, coatis different birds). I think it's worth it to spend at least one night at AOL and take their free included 9 am walk. The are also convenient for hiking, and have good horse trails.

The Hanging Bridges are near Lost Iguana and or Arenal Lodge, which would mean you don't have to go down the bad road leading to AOL.

If you want to read my report,
http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...-2010-long.cfm

And a map of Arenal area
http://www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi finalizing my trip and wondered if Alajuela is a two day/night trip or a two day/one night trip?

thank you all!
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 07:49 AM

Depends what you will do? For the Doka coffee tour probably you would want 4 hours free time to allow for travel, the tour and lunch. As I recall their buffet was quite edible. The tour times are listed here: http://dokaestate.com/coffee_tour/schedule.html

For Poas the best bet to see it without fog is to go really early, so if you have an afternoon flight it would be possible to do it the day you leave.

I spent too much time in Alajuela and Heredia. There are other things to do (such as the zoo or the Herb Farm) but I wouldn't say they are 'must do'. Some people will add in going to La Paz Waterfall Gardens but I think the $38 entry fee is ridiculous and you'll just have come from a place with a bigger waterfall!
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 08:34 AM

I think it's worth two days if you do Poas, the Waterfall Gardens, and the Doka Coffee tour. The Peace Lodge also has a nocturnal frog tour if you stay there. Their waterfall hike is beautiful.