Costa Rica Itinerary Help

Aug 26th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Itinerary Help

Hi all,

I really value the advice on this board. Thanks. I'm planning a quick, last-minute trip to CR and want to go to Osa and Malpais. I've been to Tamarindo and Arenal. Can anyone tell me if this itinerary looks too ambitious or has any recommendations?

8/31-arrive 11:33am at San Jose Intl., then catch 12:30 flight on Sansa to Pto.
Jimenez (Bosque del Cabo)

9/3 - fly Pto. Jimenez to San Jose on Nature Air at 9:50, arrive San Jose 10:40. Nature Air has an 11am flight to Tambor and if we miss it, Sansa flies one hour later. Stay at Milarepa or Flor Blanca in Malpais for two nights.

9/5 -fly to San Jose at 12:30pm on Sansa

9/6 - fly 9am from San Jose to US.

Thanks so much!
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:48 AM

The only real concern I see (besides so much movement in a short time period) is the just short of one hour to get through customs at the international airport, get your luggage and get to the other airport next door in time to make your flight to Osa. And, that is even assuming your flight gets to San Jose exactly on time!
Anyone else see a proplem with this?
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:03 PM

I think it's too much flying in too little time. Those flights WILL have delays and you will probably miss one or more of your connections. Flying from Osa to San Jose to then fly to Tambor and take the long ride to Mal Pais seems like a lot of traveling. I think you'd be better off just going to one place or going to two that are much closer together. Trying to jet around CR by air sounds like a good idea...but things tend to go wrong here and if your itin gets screwed up by just one flight...I think it my totally whack your vacation.

C
Aug 27th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Plus, your back-up plan for 9/3 doesn't account for the fact that Nature Air and Sansa use two different airports. On a good day, if there's no traffic, the road trip between the two airports would take about 30 minutes. If there's traffic, or delays, well ...

I agree with Halloranc. Two far-flung destinations in one week is overly ambitious. Flight delays are common during the rainy season. And Ally is right about getting through immigration and customs, then checking in for your Sansa flight all in less than an hour.

I'd pick one place or the other.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:02 AM

At this time of year, I would head north rather than south. I planned on helping with the turtles down around Pto Jimenez and was told it could be very rainy at that time.
It took us over an hour to get through immigration when we landed last Feb. I doubt there will be as many people traveling at this time so you might get through sooner but it is a big chance. Keep in mind also that in country flights can and do get canceled because of weather. You wish list for this trip is really chancey.
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Yes, not many people travel this time of the year but sometimes there are only two immigration officers taking care of hundreds people arriving at the same time. Our plane from Houston was delayed and two more international flights arrived at the same time. We stood there with hundreds other people for almost two hours. What a miserable introduction to Costa Rica.
Our trip was great regardless this mess in the airport

You have less than one hour between flights? Don't even think about it. If you don't wish to listen to me listen to those who already told you the same thing.