Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica - Itinerary and Transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -

We are heading to Costa Rica in mid May for our anniversary and wanted some sggestions. Our current itinerary is as follows:

May 11 – SJO to Los Suenos

May 12 – - Jaco Beach Surfing, lunch drive to Playa Hermosa 10 minutes away from Jaco Beach

- Dinner/Sunset at Villa Caletas Jaco Beach

May 13 – Manuel Antonio Park & White Water Rafting

May 14- Carara Biological Reserve (Hanging Bridges)

May 15 – Suggestions???

May 16- Morning early drive to Arenal Volcano Area
- Zip Line Eco Glide
- Hot Springs The Springs, Tabacon
- La Fortuna waterfall – Can Drive to it
- Dinner at La Fortuna

May 17 – Leave Arenal

Now my questions is this. Should I add a day to Arenal (Go there May 15 & 16, vs just one day). Also, any must sees that I'm completely missing??

Regarding transportation, we thought of renting a car but I'm scared of the drive to Arenal from Los Suenos. Are there lots of mountains or a main highway? How long is it?? Also, how much are drivers (are there companies that are more trustworthy than others)? And what about Interbus? Are they long rides w/lots of stops on the way?

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Other popular activities in Manuel Antonio include horseback riding, the Damas mangrove tour, and sailing if any of those interest you. We could easily spend three or four days in the Arenal area if you wanted to add the day there - check out Sunset and Desafio for tours; we like the Hanging Bridges there and the Cano Negro tour. It seems like you have a lot packed into that one day. You can book drivers through your hotels. Cost depends on how far you're going. We recently paid $140 to go from SJO to Arenal, about a 3 hour drive, to give you an idea of costs.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think you're right we def need to extend our Arenal stay. Thanks for the tips.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM

You're welcome - have fun!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:54 PM

I went to Costa Rica last year and loved it. La Fortuna was so nice and the town is cute. I think you may want to spread the activities you have for the 16th. It's just a thought so you don't feel rushed and you can enjoy it. There is a ziplinning tour that has horse backriding and waterfall swim. The hot springs both resort and natural are awesome. When I traveled in CR I took the bus. They are easy to understand- if you take one, watch your times in the overhead compartment. FYI if you plan on taking a taxi anywhere make sure it is red and has a yellow triangle on it. I recommend to take the number down on the taxi encase they try to over charge you or any other issues.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Great tips!! Thanks!! I just added a day to the vacation so I'll be in Arenal for two days - it was way too much packed into one day (including the drive from Los Suenos) - I wouldn't have made it!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM

You can NOT drive to the La Fortuna falls.
It's a hell of a walk, back up.
I was there this morning. If you're on good shape and have no issues with climbing stairs in a seven story building ? Go for it ~
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM

I think Lore just meant that you can drive to the site independently, that you don't need a tour. Good choice adding the day to Arenal - enjoy your trip! Hopefully you'll get to see the volcano; since it sometimes gets enshrouded in fog, the extra day will increase your chances.