Search

Costa Rica in October

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica in October

My husband and I are planning a 25th wedding anniversary trip this year. So many have mentioned Costa Rica as preferred to Hawaii. The best time for us to go is after October 15, but now I've heard that it is rainy season then in Costa Rica. We've been to Ireland, so we know rain, but does it rain so much there in October that we'd be miserable?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM

To be honest, yes.

Costa Rica in October is the rainiest month, can rain for days and days.

Perhaps if you could shoot for January, after the December hype and have great wheather and fun in the sun. Guanacaste is nice and warm by then and you would enjoy your stay.

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I agree with Costa_Rica_Traveler. The difference between lots of rain in Ireland and lots of rain here in Costa Rica is infrastructure. Roads here can be bad even in the best of times. With heavy rains, you're looking at the possibility of flooding and roads being washed out. The long-term forecast is for an exceptionally heavy rainy season this year. It's a La Niña year.

People do come here in October, but if you're counting on sun and going to the beach, you'll probably be disappointed.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I agree with both of you that Costa Rica in October can be a bummer with the rain. However, the Caribbean side is always an option and has the best weather during September and October. When the rest of the country is rainy, the Caribbean side is a great alternative. I recommend Cahuita, a sleepy town with a laid back Jamaican-like atmosphere. Puerto Viejo and its surrounding beaches (Punta Uva, Manzanillo and Playa Cocles) are also good choices. So don't count out Costa Rica just because the rest of the country will be rainy... check out the Caribbean!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM

We had a great (and rain free) time in Puerto Viejo in October of 2004. Didn't rain all that much the two days we were in the central valley either--could have been a fluke! I agree that, for those who plan travel to Costa Rica in October, you'll not find a better time to check out the southern Caribbean area! The area between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo would be my pick. . . Go for it! And Happy Anniversary!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM

I wonder how many people who talk about how much it rains in Costa Rica in October have actually been here during October. It happens to be one of my favorite months to travel here. Less tourists. Lee expensive. Muy tranquilo. Of course, I do not drive a car. I leave the driving to those who know how to do it well here. I just sit back and watch the scenery. I also don't feel like I need to hit 12 different locations in 10 days. Slow-travel here is always best. Pick a couple of spots. Go there. You'll have sun. You'll have rain, usually about half and half. The rain is not Irish rain. It is not drizzly or cold. It rains. It stops. The sun comes out. Everything smells fresh and glows green.

Come on down! (And sssshhhh! Don't tell anyone but October is absolutely the very best month for getting great views of Arenal Volcano doing its thing. Don't believe me? Ask the taxistas in La Fortuna if that is true.)