Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica honeymoon in October.... tips, advice, please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon for mid-October this year, and we really love the Osa Peninsula, but we're thinking about the Cloud Forest too.... We kind of just want to see the rainforest. We know that it's supposed to be the rainiest in October on the Osa Peninsula, so that kind of makes us look elsewhere.... Does anyone have any suggestions? We've read that it rains mostly in the afternoons and night (in general), so maybe we could just hang out indoors at those times? If anyone has any tips/advice on where to stay or where else we might look, it would be much appreciated.
Alex
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM

It's been awhile since we visited Costa Rica. We miss it. I thought the mid to northern pacific areas are dryer. I think it's the guanacasta region or something like that. We went to Playa Grande and it was wonderful.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I would not visit the Osa peninsula during October - it's the rainiest time of year there. We go during rainy season, but never October.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and honeymoon.

October can be really, really rainy almost all over the country. It's usually much more than rain for a couple of hours in the afternoon. You can get rain 24/7 at that time of year. Oddly though, the Caribbean usually sees less rain in October. I would hate to have you come and be rained out of all the things you'd like to do.

So let me ask this: Does it have to be Costa Rica?
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Some of the places in Osa just close for the month of October, because it's so rainy down there and nobody comes.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I'm thinking, just pondering the idea of hitting the Osa again in October, lol. But for a honeymoon, I wouldn't, too rainy! Maybe the East coast or up in the NW would be better. Congrats!
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Hi,
October is an iffy, we've been getting hit really hard lately, more than usual and this October was simply stormy all over.
Osa will be undoable. However, the places that get the least amount of rain is the Guanacaste beaches, the Gold Coast:
Tamarindo
Playa Grande
Flamingo
Conchal

They are great for Honeymoons and will give you at least mornings with sun.

Hope this helps,
Marina K. Villatoro
http://travelexperta.com
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Check out this website for rainfall weather patterns by month; it can help you decide where to go www.costa-rica-guide.com. Just go to the rainfall map and mouse over it to see rainfall by month.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM

I'd go Guanacaste or the Caribbean side that time of year - haven't been to those yet, so I'm not much help.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Go the Caribeean - Summertime there. Beautiful beaches, great hiking, delicious food, wonderful people. Not built up and touristy, easy to bike around everywhere. Puerto for sun and beach then to Tortuguero maybe, for turtles and canals.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Oops. Can't spell. ;-)
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO much. Seriously, i really appreciate all your help and advice. I've been looking at the area around puerto viejo and maybe tortuguero like hipvirgochick said, , and according to the rainfall guide on costa-rica-guide.com it won't be raining too much... if anyone has any other thoughts on that, i'd appreciate it, but already you all have given me better advice than i'd been able to research so far. Thanks again, a tod@s....
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:25 AM

Hi and congratulations

Tortuguero is so great, and you will totally get your rain forest experience and so much more there. Puerto Viejo is a fun town with cool and delicious restaurants.
There are many lodges that take care you full in Tortuguero. I've been with Mawamba and they are so great and they have honeymoon cabins with VIP treatment.
The tour includes transportation, food, tours and lodge for 3 days/2 nights or 4 days/3 nights. then you can ask them to bring you to Puerto Viejo.

You'll love it!
Have a great time,
Marina K. Villatoro
http://travelexperta.com
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM

If you are interested in Tortuguero, we had a fantastic time with Modesto Watson in February. He runs Riverboat Francesca Tours www.tortuguerocanals.com and is a wonderful guide.

He will arrange transportation from San Jose hotel or meet you at the dock in Moin (Limon). We stayed at Laguna Lodge, but he will book any lodge.

Look back at Volcanogirl's recent thread on Tortuguero for different bits of advice.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM

We're staying at Tortuga Lodge. They have a super swanky "penthouse suite" that looks gorgeous. I'd stay there if it were my honeymoon, and I could swing it financially. It looks gorgeous. The food is supposed to be wonderful. Check out reviews on tripadvisor.com. The only drawback is they charge for tours that other people include.

http://costaricaexpeditions.com/Gall...fignum=1&cat=3
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Costa Rica Expeditions does list package rates for Tortuga Lodge that includes tours and transfers http://www.costaricaexpeditions.com/.../tortugalodge/

I was looking at Manatus as it's smaller and appears more adult rather than family oriented.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Patty, I booked with them, and they told me that no tours are included. It was a surprise to me too. They sent me a price list for all the tours. $12 per hour to go out in the boat and see wildlife, etc. Turtle nesting viewing is $29 per person. It seems that most of the other lodges include those things.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM

They also list a room only rate. Is this perhaps what you booked? If I recall correctly, you booked your own flight, right? I think their package rates include transfers to/from San Jose but not elsewhere. Turtle viewing was also extra for several other lodges I looked at. Manatus charges $35pp.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM

They go to the national park on the tour, but not touring up and down the canals looking for wildlife. If you look at the detail it says excursions are available at an additional cost. If anyone has stayed there and knows different, please let me know. We're paying $900. I think a girl could get some free wildlife viewing for that - lol, but we are leaving from Arenal and not San Jose. The rate does include our transportation there via land/boat, all meals, and the room. We are paying for our own flight back to San Jose. They wanted to charge us $500, and I paid less than half of that with Sansa, so just booked that. I'm experiencing a bit of sticker shock with them.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM

What's the difference between a NP boat tour vs up and down the canals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -