Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica - help for thanksgiving week.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We plan on spending five full days in Costa Rica over the Thanksgiving break. I realize most plan much longer trips but that is not what we are going to do. I am just not sure on what we should do with our time.

I was thinking that the best thing for us is to maybe stay close to San Jose and take in the tours and sites available from there or make our way to the Arenal Area and take the tours offered from that area. We are not looking for beaches or water activities our interest lies is Hiking, nature, wildlife, providing learning oppurtunities for our 12 year old girl. Any ideas on how we can plan this, what we should do with the time we have. I am not sure how/if rain will alter any plans. thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:13 AM

I would go to Arenal; you may need to spend first or last nights near the airport depending on your flight times. Arenal has the active volcano, natural hot springs like Eco Termales - great chicken dinner there, hiking to the waterfall and swimming at the bottom, hiking the Hanging Bridges, and doing the Cano Negro tour with Sunset Tours to see wildlife. It would be a great spot for you.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Definitely Arenal. Especially if you want to provide learning opportunites for you daughter...the volcano alone is a sight, providing you can see it! But there is just so much to do in that area and it's so beautiful. You can easily spend 5 full days there and have plenty to do. In addition to the activites volcanogirl mentions, there's also horseback riding and zip lining as well. I think you'd have a great time there.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:58 AM

www.arenal.net

www.tabacon.com

maybe an overnite at MV

www.fondavela.com
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM

We went white water rafting as well with www.riostropicales.com - not sure of the age limitations, but it was really fun. Great day of rafting, a break for wonderful tropical fruit, and lunch afterwards.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Ditto on the above for your choice - Arenal has loads to offer. Hire a guide for the Hanging Bridges since you will usually see more with them. We stayed at Arenal Paraiso and were very happy with our superior cabin facing the volcano. Of course one day it was so socked in with clouds and fog that you would never know a volcano was right in your face!

Arenal Paraiso offers horseback riding, canopy/zipline tours along with its own thermal spring pools.

You can also go hiking in the national park itself. Enjoy your trip! You'll go back for a longer visit the next time...
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Agree with Arenal. Loads to do...definitely take the Cano Negro tour for some great wildlife sightings and since you mention a learning experience for your 12 year old, my daughter and I (same age) really enjoyed the cultural tour Desafio runs. They take you to an animal rescue center, to a small market, women's craft co-op/recycle center and wonderful lodge with organic herb farm where they teach you all about medicinal plants all in one day. Los Lagos is really great for families with all the pools/hot spring pool, slides, horseback, croc farm, zip line on site. Silencio del Campo is wonderful if you want a smaller type place with individual bungalows. Owned by a great tico family and hot spring on site. Both are convenient for trips to town and tours.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Totally agree with all of the above, and I wish we had hired a guide for the Hanging Bridges but didn't. You'll have a better shot at seeing wildlife if you do. We stay here www.lostiguanaresort.com and love it, but I think you'd enjoy any of the places mentioned in this thread.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Should I be terribely concerenc about the weather in this area at this time?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM

www.costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html is a good map to show average rainfall. You'll be at the end of rainy season, so I wouldn't worry about it much. We got rain on our trip, but not enough to ruin any of our plans. It's nice to go when things are lush and green.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:19 AM

Agree with all recs for Arenal. You'll have some rain, I think, but hopefully briefly in the afternoons. Since Thanksgiving is close to the end of November, you'll be more into the transition time when the rains should definitely be slowing down.