Costa Rica help

Jul 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica help

Girls trip to Costa Rica.....

We are leaving 11/24-12/2 but are unsure about the hotel to pick from. We are thinking between
1-Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
2-JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa

Which one would be better for single girls but safe, some night life around, close to attractions. Should we rent a car or just do tour groups? Is going in Nov a good choice or should we wait. Would it be safe for a few girls going. We've all never been there and want to make sure we're picking the right place for us.

Any ideas suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Jul 27th, 2012, 04:01 AM

I would look into staying in Arenal and Manuel Antonio, always a good duo for first timers. Both places have many nice, charming hotels and there are plenty of activities to keep you busy.
Jul 27th, 2012, 05:00 AM
RAC

Los Suenos is marginally closer to activities, but I can't imagine a group of young single adults choosing either location, which are more geared for retirees and affluent families.
Jul 27th, 2012, 05:18 AM

We did Arenal and Manuel Antonio for our first trip too. Check out places like Nayara and Tulemar Bungalows and see if those appeal to you. There are a lot more activities, restaurants, and hotels in those locations like tully said. I also like the idea of staying in a non-U.S. chain.
Jul 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Just because a hotel isn't connected to an international chain, doesn't make it unsafe. If you really want to see the country and culture, there are plenty of 4 and 5-star locally run hotels that are far superior and within walking distance from restaurants and beach towns (Marriot and Los Sueños are not).

With a group of friends I would recommend Santa Teresa as the most beautiful beach in Costa Rica. It has a young, surfer atmosphere, but there is plenty to do. You could stay at a yoga hotel or surf camp to have some of your activities set in advance (Florblanca, pranamar, latitude 10 are all Amazing properties).

The closest nightlife to the hotels you mentioned would be in Jaco and Tamarindo, which are not the safest, though there are lots of tourists. Both have a lot of drug trade going on and Tamarindo is suffering from water shortages.

For nature, Monteverde, Tortuguero or Arenal are all amazingly unique spots. In Tortuguero the hotels include tours and food, taking away a lot of trip planning stress. If Santa Teresa is too far off the beaten path (you have to either drive/bus 6 hours from San Jose, or fly San Jose to Tambor with Nature Air, and reserve a 45 minute transfer with your hotel... Manuel Antonio would be my second top recommendation for first time visitors and a safe atmosphere.

Good luck with the planning, but I agree with the above comments to look elsewhere for your hotel!
Jul 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help & suggest and feedback. Those hotels were given to me as I have family discount but I will look else where.

I do want to make the most of our trip.

Thx

Search this Thread