Search

Costa Rica Guidebook

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Guidebook

What guidebook would you recommend I get for my trip to Costa Rica this summer?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:20 AM

The latest version of the "New Key to Costa Rica" is good. They focus a bit more than some other books on Tico-owned and eco-friendly locations.

The 'Lets Go' series is virtually useless.

Jerry
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:14 AM

I like Lonely Planet, but I like the public library even better.

Ours has book exchange which allows one to borrow books from other librarys. By using this feature you can review them all and decide depending on your budget and travel style.

I second the recommendation of Gannetmusic- try and spend your cash in establishments doing good work in the community

For honeymooners I recommend Fodors and for Southern CR the Southern CR Handbook is excellent
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I posted a similar question a few months ago and everyone said that the Moon Guidebook was the best. I bought it and thought it was okay. However, the book that made me feel EXCITED about going to CR was the DK Eyewitness Guide.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM

I just picked up the lastest edition of the National Geographic Costa Rica guide and it's quite good, but a little expensive. Any bookstore should carry it.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

When I went to Greece last summer I used the Lonely Planet guide. It was pretty good. I have the Fodor's Costa Rica 2006 from my library but it seems to not have alot of information in it. I am going tomorrow to get a book from a bookstore. So any more comments on which guidebook is the best would be great.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Over the years I have had 4 different guidebooks on CR. 2 of them I loaned and they never returned. But the one that I never let leave home is the Lonely Planet one. I guess I have just used it for so long it is like an old friend.

I suggest sitting down in your bookstore, with several that they offer and spend a little time comparing. Some will have lots of pictures, which is fun but may not have the detailed info you need. I admit, everytime we go into Barnes and Noble, my husband knows he can find me in a comfy chair in the travel section!

As you can see from the responses everyone has their personal favorite, for all sorts of reasons. Good luck finding yours.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM

I found Frommer's to be an invaluable resource.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM

melissa 35,
Every guidebook for 2006 on Costa Rica I have picked seems to just use the same info from 2005. Not much new info. Costa Rica changes so much from year to year I guess they can't keep up. I guess using a guide book AND boards like this is the best way.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I agree with Missypie- Moon CR is overrated
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I went to the bookstore and compared the different guides. I ended up with Lonely Planet. It seemed to give alot of information about each place, tours, hikes and other stuff. I used Lonely Planet last year when I went to Greece and was happy with it. Thanks for all the help.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Hello,

Saw this post and had to add my vote for the New Key to Costa Rica - I compared all the guides extensively last year and this one is really special. Especially if you are interested in supporting Tico-run and eco-friendly enterprises.
Also I am sure you've figured it out already but this Fodors board is INVALUABLE. The people on the CR boards are utterly passionate about the country and much of the best advice I got was on here. But to do research on out of the way, smaller places, Fodors isn't the best.

One destination I have to recommend which I only found in the New Key was Cerro Escondido Lodge. Pull up my old trip report to learn more.

Have a wonderful trip - CR is an amazing place that gets into your soul. It was a hard decision to go somewhere else this year, I'm afraid nothing can measure up after CR!

pura vida,
Amy
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM

Our first book was a Moon Travel Handbooks, by Christopher P. Baker , 1999 edit. WE like to go to small places, villages, empty beaches. This book gave us information about little dirt roads, where to turn, very good advise about lodging, food. The best book to provide plenty of maps, very detailed. We have 3-4 more CR travel books, bring from the library too, but this is the one we travel with.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM

we love rough guides - used it for CR and used recommendations from it and were never disappointed - does not come with a map, bought a separate map