Costa Rica experts--Suggestions please

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:09 AM
owa

Costa Rica experts--Suggestions please

Hi, My husband and 15 year old grandson are taking two weeks of language school near San Jose in August. I am going for the first week and staying thru the weekend. Could anyone suggest a two day trip from SJ? Would peace lodge be a good choice? Thanks, Owa

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from the Peace Lodge. It is a beautiful place and there is a lot to do. I highly recommend it.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Yes Peace Lodge is a wonderful place, you would be able to hike the grounds to the waterfalls, spend time with the butterflies and hummingbirds, you could also visit Poas Volcano which is just a few minutes away.

A couple of other 2 day trips that come to mind - possibly an overnight rafting trip on the Pacuare River - possibly a two day trip to Tortuguero.

Do you actually have just 1 night 2 days or 2 nights?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
owa

Thanks dxrx and dfarmer. We would go on Friday afternoon to wherever we decide and be back to San Jose Sunday night because I have an early flight out Monday morning. Owa

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:10 AM

I have a question regarding Poas volcano. I know people do not go to the Peace Lodge for the volcano, like perhaps they would go to Arenal Pariaso or others lodges to see the Arenal volcano, BUT is the Paos volcano of any comparison to Arenal's? Is it active like Arenal? It isn't near as big is it? I was just wondering because so many are in awe of Volcan Arenal, with the sites and sounds of it.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 03:13 AM

It is big. The crater is huge. There has been some activity in the past two weeks, but it isn't erupting, just burping.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Owa - ok so with 2 nights I can get really crazy!

I still think Tortuguero in August would be great. You could fly early Sat morning, take the canal tours during the day viewing wildlife and the unique canals, hopefully get to see the turtles, then boat back on Sun. Or if timing is ok, on Fri you may could arrange a private transport to the dock.

Pacuare for sure if you enjoy rafting.

Are you driving or being driven?

If you utilize a driver, then getting somewhere before dark will not be an issue to consider. You could head out to Arenal, enjoy the hot springs, night hike, zip lines, hanging bridges, etc. Then be driven back on Sunday, allowing time to head back to SJ via La Paz Waterfall Gardens, and then onto SJ.

Or if the beach is a favorite, then have a driver take you to MA, get there for dinner, next day enjoy the park and beaches, possibly raft or horseback ride, or simply relax, then be driven back to SJ late on Sun afternoon.

Or maybe your main interest is in birds and wildlife, well we can get you somewhere for that for a couple of days too!

OK so if you don't mind packing it in and want to see a totally different area in CR, then with 2 nights, you can do it, but I would recommend using a driver because you have very little time to spend it being lost or worrying if it is going to get dark on you.

Your post suggests that you will not be attending language school, if this is the case, then you could easily do daytrips to places such as Poas and La Paz. Plus Sarchi, Grecia, City Tours, and try to get down to Cartago to visit the churches and Lankester Gardens.

Whooo !!

Ok beena - Poas is not an active volcano such as Arenal with eruptions and red hot rocks and such spewing out, but it is quite impressive, you can hike to the top and actually look over into the crater. Not so with Arenal, you have to view it from a distance.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:34 PM
owa

Thanks dfarmer for all your suggestions. Peace Lodge can only accommodate us the night of the 20th. Our first week stay is at the Los Suenos Marriott. We are wondering if we have to go thru San Jose to get to Peace Lodge or is there a more direct road from the Marriott? Also, if you have another idea for an interesting place to stay on the 19th (on the way to Peace Lodge?), I'd appreciate it.

I will not be taking language school and will have my days free. I am in the process of researching day trips.

We will be hiring a driver rather than renting a car. Thanks again, Owa

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:02 AM

Thanks so much both of you, dfarmer and dxrx. Your insite has been helpful. The volcano burping....I like that!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Xandari Resort and Spa is on the road to Poas. www.xandari.com

Also Poas Volcano Lodge comes to mind. www.poasvolcanolodge.com

Never stayed at either, but both have gotten good reviews.

And no you will not have to go through SJ to get to PL. Not sure how your driver will go, but may be back toward SJ and up through Alajuela.

You are welcome, happy to help.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM
owa

dfarmer, you are a gem for giving me so many suggestions. How do you know so much about CR? Xandari looks like a good alternative for the first night. This trip will give me a good idea whether or not I think CR is for our annual family (10) trip. We alway go at Christmas. I don't know where we will go this year yet as airfares are so high right now. Doubt if they will get better. I'm considering Jamaica. Thanks again, Owa

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Owa, you are very kind, thank you for your vote of confidence.

There are many here on this board that are much more experienced in CR travel than myself. But to answer you, we have traveled to CR 4 times in the past 5 years. Our first trip, admittedly was a last minute, all inclusive package deal that was too cheap to miss. From that point on I was hooked!

I did very little research for that first trip, other than to read the most important parts of a LP guidebook - entry requirements, language, currency, warnings, etc and the two areas we would be visiting.

Since I have researched compulsively for each of our other 3 trips and probably have enough info to fill another 3-4 trips in the future.

We always visit new areas. We mix up our transportation modes each year utilizing rental, private drivers and domestic flights, in order to maximize our experience in the 10-12 days that we have.

The sources of my knowledge - Reading guidebooks & web info, personal knowledge gathered in 4 trips and relying heavily on the friends I have made here at Fodors.

Good luck on planning your annual trip and keep in mind that CR is a very busy place around Christmas. Hotels and lodges fill up quickly - I mean like right now some are already booked.

It is a pleasure to share what I have learned.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM
owa

dfarmer, or anyone else, my husband wanted me to ask one more question. Do you take anti-malaria medication? I know it is a personal decision and depends on the area one is visiting, but since you go to many areas of CR he is wondering what you do. I think my daughter has decided to give our grandson medication. Also, if you wouldn't mind, if you do take it, which one. Thanks again, owa

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Just back from Peace Lodge. Amazing place. Visted Poas early in the morning and it was clouded over by 8:40 am and didn't clear up for us. Only 20 minutes from PL and they can arrange the tour with their staff. Was also at Tabacon and Arenal and that is the one with all the big action. Was clear the whole 2 days I was there and it was awesome. Arenal is about 3 hrs from San Jose
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Owa, yes it is a personal decision. However, the answer to your question - no we have never taken the anti malaria-meds.

Also, I will mention that all our trips have been in Feb, which as you know is the dry season.

Sorry I can't help you on that one.