Search

Costa Rica Dec.23-31

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Dec.23-31

HELP!! We have no hotel reservations and want to stay in the Arenal and Monteverde areas. Any suggestions? We have emailed most of the posted hotels. Are there any area that we could more easily commute from than SJO? Teens want to do ziplines and white water rafting. If we can't go to those areas where else should we go. We need to be in SJO on the night of the 30th. Should we postpone our trip? Thanks--
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Ok so you have chosen the busiest week to travel, not only for the foreign travelers but also for Costa Rican families. Unfortunately the more sought after lodgings would have been booked for months.

So - I would suggest that you contact a travel professional who specializes in Costa Rican travel. I truly feel this will help to eliminate the stress of trying to locate available rooms, with only weeks to spare.

We used Pat Hewitt of Costa Rica Travel for one of our trips down. He was great. http://www.truecostarica.com/index.html
and
http://www.lovecostarica.com/

Also, I have read several times that Neta the hotel owner of La Finca Que Ama has been able to work miracles for travelers. http://www.costaricafinca.com/index1.htm

Also you can find other recommendations by searching this forum.

As for white water rafting - I would certainly look at the Pacuare Rafting trip - fantastic fun and beautiful scenery. For this portion it would be best to be overnighting in or just outside SJ. We booked thru www.riostropicales.com

When in Monteverde we stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge, doesn't get much mention here - it was fine. It is the closest lodge to the park - which is good and bad. Easy to get to the park - harder to get to town.

In Arenal we stayed at Arenal Paraisio - which you have probably already contacted.

I don't understand your question "Are there any ... commute from SJO?"

As for your last night - Orchideas Inn is good, Vista del Valle Plantation Inn great. Both of these are outside SJ, about 15 mins to SJO. We have stayed in town, but I prefer not too.

Good Luck!!! I am sure you will get more responses. Have fun.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the response--it seems that Pat Hewitt has relocated (because of Katrina). I left a message a few weeks ago and never got a response. He was in New Orleans. i will contact Neta ASAP. I was worried we may have to commute to monteverde from SJ--and do day trips. tj
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Hi,
We are also going to CR Dec 26 through Jan 3. Places and tours are booking up but there seems to be a few hotels still available. (Not Tabacon, Lost Iguana,or Volcano Lodge,though) Check out Arenal.net for ideas. I know some people had bad luck with them, but I have been in contact without any problems.

Also, we are using Ralph from GaialinkTours.com and he has been great. He just booked us a tour for a volcano hike and hotsprings/dinner at Tabacon the other day plus all of our transportation. I booked Skytrek zipline myself via email. You can do this trip during this busy time if you're flexible and realize there WILL BE crowds!!! Good luck,
Jayne
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM

There aren't many hotels left in the Arenal area but Arenal.net has a good listing of hotels and their availabilities for that time period. There are spotty openings.

Arenal would be a good location for zips, and white water rafting on the Sarapiqui. Windsurfing on Lake Arenal also.

You could contact some of the rafting companies directly to see if they have any openings for overnight trips.

Tilajari is a nice place. A little further away from Arenal so they might not be totally booked but close enough to be able to get back and forth with a rental car or take tours from the hotel. Worth a try.

Good luck