Search

Costa Rica - Cancun - Cabo??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica - Cancun - Cabo??

Greetings,

Dh and I found out that we can get away for a week in November. We thought we would not be able to travel for sometime due to my school schedule but I now have a one week break and we are anxious to get away and enjoy our time.

In looking at our timeshare (one caveat) is that I have to be able to exchange my timeshare and use miles for where we are going to travel -

I am traveling from Southern California.

I can get miles and a week in:
Cabo (we have been many times)
Cancun (have been twice)
Playa de Carmen <sp> - have been but never stayed in that area
Puerta Vallarta (have been 2-4 times or so)
or my first choice is Costa Rica - neither of us have been...
But the areas that come up for my timeshare are:

Jacó, Puntarenas, Costa Rica

or

Flamingo Beach Resort
Santa Cruz, Guanacaste , COSTA RICA

Or

The Sanctuary Resort & Spa
Guanacaste , COSTA RICA

any feedback? I have just started researching CR in the last few months and was not seriously planning on anything till 2013 so not really aggressive in research more distracting myself when my nursing school gets too overwhelming.

We only have the week - we could stay one night in San Jose in a hotel if need be for travel time on the way home.

Help!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM

www.weather2travel.com CR lots of rain in November

less in Guanacaste Flamingo Beach so go for that

or bck to Cabo/Cancun for better weather...have fun,
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM

November's always kind of a roll of the dice with weather in Costa Rica. If you have a week off from school, are you talking about Thanksgiving week? The rains have begun to taper off by late November, especially in Guanacaste, which is a drier part of the country. If you choose Costa Rica, pick one of those two places. Jaco can be kind of a dump anyway.

Look into flights to Liberia (airport code is LIR), the second international airport in Costa Rica. It is in Guanacaste. Flying there saves you a lot of hours of overland travel to and from San Jose. Many airlines fly there.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. I think we are going to wait on CR - I want to do other areas and see that the November weather is very wet. It is the first week in November. I would want to be able to pick the resort and area when we do come - and still want to save it for when I graduate school.

Onto picking between Cabo - Cancun - or now PV.

Thank you!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Ended up able to exchange our timeshare for a place in Oahu so that is the pick for this November CR is still on the wish list!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to PV 19 times, and Cabo for the 1st time this year. I think they are both great. Oops I see now you are going to Oahu (been there 3 times). Oh well, sounds like there's nothing I can add ;-)
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I was going to ask you about PV Suze I ended up with Oahu... I love Hawaii and we were also able to get the exchange/ff miles to head that way.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well you can ask me about Waikiki if you want instead! But maybe you already know about Oahu?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Cruise on over to the US board I have only been to Oahu one time and that was about 7 years ago - we stayed in a house on the north shore with our 4 children - this is just dh and I and we are staying at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club - timeshare exchange - rented a car for the week...
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Have a great trip, MomDD! We love Hawaii just as much as CR. Parts of CR remind me of Hawaii - all the lush green hills and tropical plants. I think you're smart to wait for your perfect trip to CR.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

VG - thank you so much! I wanted Kauai as my first choice for Hawaii but could not exchange into our timeshare during that period but Oahu will do. I really want to make the trip to CR as I want it - not trying to conform to miles and timeshares...so it will wait
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Hi-YOU were very lucky to get a Hawaii exchange so late. I also own timeshares & Hawaii takes 2 years to book.
Do see CR someday when you have more time-I beleive we were there in Jan & the weather was perfect. Also when requesting timeshares I always ask how many sq. ft the unit has some 1 bedrooms can be pretty small. When you do got to CR make sure you go to Arenal Valcano & hotsprings-It reminded me of the garden of Eden-Chris