Costa Rica Birding Field Guide

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Birding Field Guide

Hi, everyone - I accidentally posted this on Latin America instead of the CR board. Can anyone recommend a specific CR birding field guide to use when we go to the Osa? I know there are probably several, so I'm wondering if anyone has a personal favorite that's easy to use? Also, do those books come with a life list so we can check off what we see? Thanks for any info. you can offer. We didn't have one when we went to Cano Negro and were wishing we had brought something along.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM

In April 2007 a new field guide was released on the Birds of Costa Rica. My birding friends were very excited about it because it's designed for use in the field. It has RANGE MAPS which the other guides don't have. This book is called "The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)" by Richard Garrigues (Author), Robert Dean (Illustrator).

The old standby with beautiful color plates is "A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica (Comstock Book) (Paperback)" by F. Gary Stiles (Author) and Alexander F. Skutch (Author). This book is heavier than the first one and probably not something you'd want to lug around in a backpack all day, but it's much more comprehensive and detailed. Some people have suggested buying this book, removing the illustrations and having them bound for use in the field.

Both these books are worth checking out before you go and are into birding.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM

May not be detailed enough, but check these out:

http://www.rainforestpublications.co...RicaBirds.html

Happy trails!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM

rummikub has steered you in the right direction! I have the comprehensive Stiles-Skutch book and it IS a nuisance to lug around, but I do it. It has the best descriptions youŽll find.

BUT have seen the new Garrigues book and would highly recommend that you purchase it. Less descriptive, but the plates are actually much better than those in the Skutch book. I plan to pick it up as soon as I get home! It is smaller, lighter, easier to manage when traveling. . .the other one you could keep at home for descriptive references. . ..
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi, all - we just got back from our trip. I will post a trip report soon, but wanted to let you know I got the Garrigues and Dean guide, and it was great. We carried it all over BdC and found it really easy to use - thanks for a great recommendation. I will also check out the other books you guys recommended. Good advice as always.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:47 PM

We took one look at the new field guide and headed right to 7th Street Books in San Jose to buy it. It was great and we used it all over Costa Rica on the rest of our trip. Having the range map really helps to narrow the birds down if there is any doubt. 7th Street Books is an excellent book store and actually co-published the new guide with Cornell.