Search

Corcovado help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corcovado help

My fiance Nick and I are getting married in Manuel Antonio and are travelling with our family to the Osa Peninsula (where we will have 3 days and 2 nights) to see the rainforests and wildlife. We are having a tough time deciding how to tackle this area. Originally we had plans to stay at Bosque del Cabo (we still have tentative reservations) and were going to fly into the park one of the days at Sirena but we were recently told it would be 600 to fly in plus money for a guide, so we are looking for alternatives. Bosque says that their grounds are great and a trip to Corvocado might be pointless.... is this really true? Nick LOVES to hike, and I mean HIKE and is interested in doing the Park from Los Platos ranger station to Sirena, spending the night, and doing that area the next day and hike over to Carate to get back to Bosque. I want to see the rainforest and as much wildlife as possible, so we were thinking of doing this on our own. How far is the drive from Bosque to Los Platos? What are the best options? Are the lands around Bosque just as abundant in wildlife? I would appreciate any opinions and input.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM

lbourne4,
Yes, I think others would confirm that it is true-- Bosque del Cabo does have excellent wildlife. You will not be disappointed. And others have said on this forum time and again that they enjoyed the BdC grounds more than the park itself--and saw more wildlife.

As for hiking the expanse of the park, I can certainly see the attraction and would like to do that myself one day; but you'd need a longer stay to be able to explore Corcovado so thoroughly and enjoy other aspects of the area as well. As you have already noted, that is best done from the Drake Bay side where the park entrances are more accessible.

If there is any way you can extend your stay at BdC to 3 nights, you should. 2 nights is a very short time in such a place. Although it isn't Corcovado, Bosque del Cabo does have a very nice (and extensive) trail system. You can check it out on their website (and probably already have).
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM

We have been to Bosque twice and the last time we went we traveled to Drake Bay and went to Corcovado for a hike. We saw much more wildlife at Bosque than we did on our hike in Corcovado. I think you should try to do three full days at Bosque. I do not think you will be disappointed with what you will see.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM

If it is wildlife you want to see..just stay at Bosque. If you want a "real" hike you could check with Abraham over at Bosque del Rio Tigre. It is a little town about 20 minutes out of Puerto Jimenez (compared to 45mins for Bosque) He does a hike from their place to Carate through the park where a taxi will meet you and bring you back. It is an extremely tough hike with a lot of ups and downs. It is primarily a birding lodge so I don't know if your whole family would want to stay there. Not much time to stop and smell the roses on that hike so it is not a birding trip. We have hiked a lot in that area near Rio Tigre and have seen a few interesting things. Saw a tyra last time. We have stayed at the lodge several times but we are birders. Perhaps you could send your family on to Bosque dC and spend the night at Rio Tigre and have the taxi drop you off at Bosque dC after the hike. It goes right by the place.

You could set up the family at Iguana Lodge on the beach just outside of PJ and take a taxi over to Bosque del rio tigre VERY early.

Another option would be to stay closer to the park either in the Drake Bay area at Casa Corcovado where you can hike right into the park from the lodge. Or stay at a place in Carate and take a day hike with a guide into the park via the La Leona entrance which is just up the beach. Luna Lodge is lovely. Lana is a great person. Something closer to the beach would be LookOut Inn. Terry is a mile a minute. You can sit and watch the scarlet macaws flying around and landing in the trees right out front.

Personally, we find the many trails at Bosque plenty of work. Just the Gulfo Dulce trail alone is 1 1/2 hrs one way to the beach. Many people have the kitchen pack them a box lunch and they spend the day down at the beach and get a ride back. The Pacific Trail is much shorter but a real workout getting back up. You can hike to a waterfall via the PT trail which would add quite a bit to the hike or just go down to the beach that way and find a secluded tidal pool. It is tidal dependent and can only be done during low tide.

Bosque has cameras set up that have caught pictures of several wild cats on their property. There are peccary, unbelievable birds, some really interesting snakes (as well as dangerous ones), all 4 monkeys species found in Costa Rica live there.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM

I agree that you'll find just as much wildlife at BdC than at Corcovado. I've aslo read others trip reports here and at tripadvisor, and people who have done both say the same thing.

Like Suzie said, if you stayed in the Carate area and got a guide, Luna or Lookout would be good bases (tho Luna is probably a little more luxe?). You could taxi there, but it's fun to take the collectivo too, it's only about $5 and they go to Carate twice a day and back.

The Golfo Dulce trail at BdC is a real workout, wear real good gripping shoes on that one. Also, I'd add extra time for when they pick you up. We did the trail relatively fast (I think) but only had a short amount of time once we hit the beaches to relax before our pickup was scheduled. Oh, one more thing, on this trail, take one of their hiking sticks. This is the only trail where I found it was really necessary.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM

When I was at Bosque del Cabo earlier this year, I was told (I think by their guide Phillip) that the animals in the park have learned to fear humans because of the poaching that goes on in the park. As a result, they're long gone even before you spot them. The animals are more protected around BdC and therefore have a little more trust of humans. I guess I have to agree. I was in the park the year before and really didn't see too many animals, even very early in the morning.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. I think we are going to keep our reservations at BdC and hike around there. Now if we can only find a cheaper way of travel from Quepos to Port J!