Search

Copan restaraunts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copan restaraunts

Can anyone suggest a good place to eat in Copan? Twisted Tayna's was recommended and although it looks great we were looking for something a little less expensive. We are planning a nice dinner at Hacienda San Lucas while we are there. Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Like Carnitas Nia Lolas

Waitress brings carnitas in

on her head

Yummy best to stick with

local comida tipica...
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 05:41 AM

I eat most of my meals in local homes when I'm staying in Copán but am fond of Carnita Nia Lola's - one of my host families was the orangy-red house attached to it. I also like the little "Italian" place a street over and a street up from the NE corner of the parque central. The decor is more American Country but the pizza is delicious.

For nice little carvings and jewelry made from seeds and carved bone and jade (all price ranges) stop by Carlos the carver's new shop. If you head down the street that run along the east side of the parque central, the one with the cathedral on it, his shop is about 2 blocks down on the left. Great keepsakes and gifts and a very friendly, talented, hardworking man. Happy trails!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I think I will check out Carnitas Nia Lolas .. sounds like a fun place. The pizza place also sounds good. It's good to have a couple of options. Thanks for the info about the carver. We will have to take a look.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM

For light fare there is also Cafe Welchez that sits on the corner of the parque central. Hopefulist, do you remember what they had on the menu? Also HL, what about that yellow fronted restaurant just before you start down the hill towards the school?
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM

At Welchez? All I had there was dessert - a few of us took our teachers there on the last day of class. As I said, I eat most of my meals with local hosts when I'm in Copan.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:34 AM

on second thought, I only had dessert there also, but for some reason I thought they had something else on the menu.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Desert? We like desert.. How was it at Welchez?
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Well, if you're looking for desert, you'll have to look elsewhere besides Copan - plenty of rain there. If you're looking for dessert, Welchez has good smoothies, cakes, etc. They have meals on the menu, too, and a nice roof terrace. My favorite dessert option in Copan is chocolate and nut covered frozen bananas available at some of the stores and houses in town. There's a store on the corner a block down from the SW corner of the parque central and the house just above the Ixbalanque Spanish school (esp. that one). Also, there's a good ice cream shop a block or so down from the SE corner - can't remember if it's right on that street or very near on a side street. Happy trails!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Hopeful,
I am laughing at my mistake.. Yes, we do like deserts but I really was interested in desserts.. he he. I love chocolate covered bananas and icecream is a favorite of all of us.Thanks Hopeful..
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM

My vote is ViaVia Cafe - as much for the ambiance as for the food.

My favorite inexpensive cafe was one that my Ixbalanque teacher introduced me to.....a little gem on the downhill side of the bank. There is always a hand drawn sign outside and it has great platos tipicos for lunch or dinner. The drawback was the soap operas on the tv, which everyone else in the restaurant seemed to follow. Try the fried green bananas and chicken.

Welchez has great carrot cake and lattes. The coffee shop beside Posada del Belssy has some great choices as well. Sorry I cant remember the name of that one- maybe you will remember it Hopefulist...I saw your group having coffee on the rooftop in your pics. Anyway look for the brightest yellow building in Copan. BTW, your photos are totally awesome Hopefulist. What camera are you using?
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 02:13 AM

Don't know the coffee shop by Belssy but it would be easy to find, on the south side of the block north of the parque central.

I use cloddy old Pentax Optio 450 digital which I have dearly loved though it looks archaic with it's tiny viewing screen and bulky size. It's starting to creak and grown so I'm testing a replacement - a Pentax Optio W60 that is totally waterproof (can even snorkel with it!), has a similar menu system and an amazing 1cm macro option. Looks good so far but haven't testing the photo quality side by side. I hate to replace the old one but it sticks sometimes and I don't want it to give up on me in the middle of a 5-6 week trip this summer.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I went to two ice cream shops on a regular basis in Copan. Each was about 1/2 block from opposite ends of Parque Central. I don't remember the name of either one, but everyone will know them. One of the teacher's mom worked in one of them when I was there.