Confused& need advise about tamarindo .

Sep 23rd, 2001, 07:37 PM
melinda

Confused& need advise about tamarindo .

Hi four of us will be travelling to Tamarindo for approx one week towards the end of November. We will be spending a total of three weeks in Costa Rica and were kind of planning this weekend to be the time we pamper ourselves. can anyone recommend a hotel and various activities. has anyone rented a vehicle and driven out to the area from San Jose ? is this a good idea.

Sep 24th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Iza

Melinda, we were in Tamarindo in August of this year and also in August of last year. We stayed at Capitan Suizo for 3 nights last year and 4 this year, and in my opinion you can't find a better place in Tamarindo. We absolutely loved it. We also stayed at Jardin del Eden last year for 3 nights and were disappointed (too far from the beach, the hotel needed some updating, the pool area felt very enclosed and isolated).
Capitan Suizo is right on the beach, has beautiful gardens and a great pool, the rooms are very spacious (and the bungalows are huge with great bathrooms). The service is excellent. The only thing you should keep in mind is that it is popular with families. Of course if you are going in November, kids are at school so that should not be a problem.
As far as getting there from SJ: last year we flew (on Travelair), this year we drove (from SJ to Arenal and then from Arenal to Tamarindo and then drove back to SJ taking the Tempisque River ferry). You have to allow about 5 hours for that drive and I would recommend going through Liberia to avoid the wait for the ferry. Going over the mountains on the "highway" was tedious and nerve wrecking at times, but we were able to get where we needed with no problems. In Tamarindo having a car is quite useful, otherwise you need to get everywhere on foot. If you decide to fly, you can rent a car in Tamarindo for a day or two in order to take day trips.
Activities in Tamarindo: surfing, horse back riding on the beach, trips to various surrounding beaches (Playa Conchal is beautiful and definitely worth seeing, we also liked Playa Flamingo), a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja National Park (you can take a trip that includes a canopy tour and a stop at a spa that has hot springs and volcanic mud treatments), turtle watching trips (I think you should be able to see them in November).
Look for my trip report in this forum and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Sep 25th, 2001, 01:33 PM
SANDY SCHAUB

HI, WE WERE IN TAMARINDO LAST MARCH AND STAYED AT THE PASATIEMPO-STOP AND HAVE A DRINK THERE. VERY CUTE AND FRIENDLY. WE LOOKED AT ALL THE OTHER HOTELS AND CAPTAIN SUIZO IS REALLY NICE ,BUT THEY WERE NOT REAL FRIENDLY AND LOTS OF KIDS. WE WERE GLAD WE DIDN'T STAY THERE BECAUSE IT WAS TOO BUSY AND TOO MANY KIDS. BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT WAS MARCH TOO. WE LIKE MORE ADULTS THAN KIDS THOUGH. THE TAMARINDO VISTA VILLA'S WAS MY FAVORITE. FIRST HOTEL WHEN YOU ENTER TOWN, SITS ON A HILL AND A BEAUTIFUL VIEW FROM THE ROOMS,AND BAR. WE HAD A DRINK THEIR AND DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE- VERY VERY NICE AND FRIENDLY-THE ENTIRE WALK FROM ONE END OF TOWN TO THE OTHER IS ABOUT 30 MINUTES. ON THE OTHER END IS A BAR ON THE BEACH-GOT TO WATCH THE SUNSETS THEIR-IT'S THE ONLY ONE ON THAT END-BEAUTIFUL! WE HAD A BLAST. DON'T WEAR A LOT OF WHITE-DUSTY-HAVE A GREAT TIME SANDY

Sep 25th, 2001, 04:48 PM
vacation

Hi, Is Tamarindo a safe vacation place and is there a 1st class hotel and restaurants in the area ?? Approx how much should I expect to pay for a round trip flight from Boston and 1 weeks lodging in a good hotel? How much should I expect to pay for drinks and good meals, not burgers or the likes. Thanks !

Sep 26th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Iza

Check out www.tamarindo.com to get an idea of hotel prices. I would budget $4K for a week for 2 people including transportation, hotel and good food and drinks. That is in the green season, the prices go up in high season.
Tamarindo is very safe, we were there twice and I didn't feel unsafe at any time. Prices for food at a good restaurant $20-25 per person including drinks. I think the most expensive dinner we ate in CR for 3 people was around $80 and it was excellent (fresh fish and shrimp).