Club Med - Ixtapa or Huatulco

Nov 6th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Gary

Club Med - Ixtapa or Huatulco

We are considering booking a Family Escape through Club Med. From our city, Ixtapa and Huatulco are the two destinations they'll pick from to send you. We have a 4 year old and have never been to Mexico, having always vacationed in Maui. Will either of these Club Med spots be fine for a week vacation? Is there anything to do in these areas such that we should book two weeks?

Nov 7th, 1999, 10:28 AM
McH

Gary

Although I am not a big fan of the Club Med thing I want to give you some local flavor about these 2 places (I live in Mexico). Both are very calm, quiet spots. Huatulco will give you more of a chance of some side trips, small village experiences and various beaches (there are boats that take you to small, secluded beatiful beaches). As for Ixtapa, it is also very calm, but with the disadvantage of being a small resort with about 12 hotels, a long beach, some restaurants (the ones in the Marina are great!) and a few clubs. I would recommend Ixtapa more as a romantic retreat (it was my first stop in my honeymoon). If you have any doubts email me.

Nov 7th, 1999, 06:15 PM
jj

Ixtapa is smaller than Huatulco where it is built on a hillside and have to use shuttles to get around. But there more to do in the Huatulco village.

Nov 8th, 1999, 08:56 AM
AJ

Gary, our family likes Ixtapa-Zihuatenejo, although we've never been to Huatalco.

One word of advice. Keep in mind that Club Med accommodations are simple, at best. The brochures show great locations on the beach, but rarely show the rooms. We took our kids to two Club Med's many years ago, and were shocked by the cramped and not very clean rooms. Maybe this has changed. Also, if you plan to have your child in the kid's clubs, search this forum first for information. I've commented on the poor kids' clubs at Club Meds, as have others. Again, maybe this has also changed, but I would check it out first.

Jan 21st, 2001, 06:30 PM
Susannah

We are going to try Ixtapa this year..I hear the food is great (from friends who visited last year) at the club med. We have been to club med at Bahamas,florida, and guadaloupe-all family vacations and better than any other "family"all inclusive we have tried. The rooms seem to be much improved the last couple of years

Jan 21st, 2001, 08:02 PM
LIZ

Hi Gary...
We've been to 3 Club Med's in Mexico and 2 in the Caribbean and the rooms at Huatulco were the worst...They were dark, cramped and very awkwardly laid out....But that was our only complaint about the place...IMHO, one week would be plenty...

LIZ