Christmas Day in Cancun

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Day in Cancun

Hi!

My mother and I are spending Christmas in Cancun. We are planning several Mayan ruin visits since my mother is a ruin freak.. (she just loves them and seems to have infected her daughter)

However, I am looking for suggestions for Christmas Day especially food wise. WIll things be open, do I need to book now? I did a search and all I came up with was the Ritz Carlton at $250 which is a little steep (I assumed those were American Dollars not pesos) We currently have a reservation at the Cancun Inn. I know this is not on the beach, but since only one of us does the beach and at least three days of the 5 will be spent touring the ruins it seemed stupid to pay the high season fees for a beach resort.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Hi Carola!

We have spent Christmas in Cancun, and had just a wonderful time.

We did go to Ritz Carlton for Christmas dinner, and it was around $250 (for two with wine).

It was a Prix Fixe, and it was very good, but I don't think it was quite worth the price as the service was not up to par to our previous RC visits.

I did not make our reservations until just a few days beforehand, but if you decide that is where you want to go, you might want to.

I would also recommend La Habichuela for Christmas if it is open. I thought the food and service were both phenomenal the times we have been there. (And not as much $$$ as RC.)

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I would agree with LaHabuchuela and suggest also Laguna Grill and the dining room at the Meridien.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Everything will be open, or virtually everything, at least. Merchants here basically cannot afford to close down on holidays involving peak tourist traffic.

That doesn't mean you won't need reservations at some given place or something like that. But you can expect virtually everything to be operating business as usual on Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, etc down here.

Steve
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

I ran across La Habichuela in my research and it looks promising. I will try to contact them.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:03 AM

You can request a reservation at lahabichuela.com. Great place!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Since you are not interested in the beach, why don't you stay closer to the ruins and get a more authentic Mexican experience than in Cancun? If you're going to Chichen Itza, why don't you stay in Merida? I've read that it is a very beautiful city and much closer to the ruins. The prices for lodging would be much cheaper than in Cancun. If you are going to Coba,Tulum or Uxmal, it would be much closer to stay on the Riviera Maya rather than Cancun.

Have fun!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Littletex,
I am actually considering this. I just don't know if we want to move around much on this trip (fairly short 12/20 to 12/27) and to be honest I have not had time to do any reseach...

We will see what I come up with.