Search

Chichen Itza Tour?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chichen Itza Tour?

Hi,<BR>My boyfriend and I are going to Cancun next week, but we wanted to tour one of the ruins. I thought Chichen Itza (spelling may be off) would be most interesting, but I saw that it was two hours or more away. Any suggestions, including other ruins? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Have you done a text search for chichen itza? There are a few opinions here. We went to Chichen Itza in Feb. and enjoyed it. It's a nice day trip from the Cancun area.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:15 AM
jd

Its well worth the 2 hr. trip! Enjoy!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:27 AM

<BR>If you don't want to spend a lot of time and energy on ruins, I'd suggest you go to Tulum. Smaller, closer to Cancun and pretty there since it's on the coast. Don't drink too much before you go though, the restroom there was dreadful 4 years ago.<BR><BR>Chichen Itza was a more extensive tour since it was a bigger area with a lot more to see. Here, the problem wasn't the restroom but the tour guide; he seemed to be a tough Marine drill instructor. April and it was hot. I just had to fall out of the group once or twice. So I guess it's a choice between easy or advanced.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:41 AM

The heavens empted the day we went and everyone was walking about in white plastic poncho's but it was well worth it. The ruins are fantastic and the view from the El Castillo pyramid is stunning. Our guide was really interesting. We went to Tulum last year and didn't rate it anywhere close to Chichen Itza although the beach there was beautiful.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM

I agree with miggs.<BR>Tulum can't compare to Chichen Itza for size/scope, but the view from the cliffs at Tulum is really breath-taking.<BR>We flew to Chichen Itza and had plenty of time to spend at the ruins and were not rushed.<BR>It can be extremely hot at either site, so be sure to take plenty of water with you.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Chicen Itza with Gray Line tours is very good. Leaves your hotel about 730am or so, go over to terminal, then a good AC tour type bus to Chichen Itza with quick stop in Valladolidto see the neat town plaza and very old church, then a stop at a &quot;craft village&quot; (read shopping stop). Arrive at the Mayaland Hotel, right at the ruins, and then have nice lunch. After lunch tour tour the ruins with guide, then you are set free until 4:45pm. You can stay in the grounds or you are allowed back to the hotel for a swim, to buy a drink, etc. The bus ride back is straight shot, non-stop, and you are dropped right at the front of your hotel. We were back at our hotel about 7:15pm. This is a good tour and well worth the time. I think the list price on Gray Line is $60US. However, if you have the Cancun Entertainment Plus card you can get a discount down to $46US. So you save $16 per person, thus easily paying for the $15US the card costs. Look at http://www.entertainment-plus.net/english.htm for details. The card also gets you 2 for 1 meals at several eating places and other tour discounts. Well worth the money.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:12 AM

To clear up my first statement, you are picked up at your hotel and taken to the main terminal by Gray Lines. It is door to door service
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Sorry, the savings is $14 per person.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We are back now and really did enjoy Chichen Itza. Hope to go again next year! Rose