Chichen Itza from Playa del Carmen

Jan 20th, 2000, 03:12 PM
Debbie

Chichen Itza from Playa del Carmen

I'm going to Playa del Carmen for the FIRST time in February and plan to visit the ruins at Chichen Itza. Can anyone help me with some information on: What is the best way to get there(bus, tour, rental car)?? Prices?? What does it cost to get into the ruins? How about the best time of day to visit or is it an all-day type thing? Any information would be extremely helpful. Also thinking of Cozumel ferry trip... Thanks in advance!

Jan 20th, 2000, 03:51 PM
dan woodlief

I have done this from Cancun, but not Playa, so I can't give you very good specifics on transportation. Ideally, it is best to be there first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds. It should take you at least five hours to really do the place justice. I would say it is at least a most of the day thing. Staying overnight would be best, but if not, take the earliest bus you can find, or rent a car for an earlier start. I wouldn't take a tour. It is likely to cost a lot more, and you won't be as free to see things at your own pace. You can hire guides at the site if you choose. I don't remember the cost, but I don't think it was more than $10 U.S. I actually got lucky and found $10 someone dropped inside the ball court.

Jan 20th, 2000, 04:50 PM
Jennifer

Debbie
I just returned from Playa del Carmen and from our hotel their was a tour to Chichen Itza for $70 US per person it was a 3 and a half hour drive one way. You could also fly by small plane, which I believe was a half hour flight and the cost was $120 US per person(it was a half day excursion). We opted for a private air conditioned car with a driver for 6 hours at a cost of $83 US in total and he drove us one and a quarter hours to Coba. Which was a great experience. The big pyramid is taller than Chichen Itza and quite unexploited by the Mexicans You have to walk on a cleared path through the jungle for about 20 minutes to get to the big pyramid, but it worth it. You can climb to the top, but unlike Chichen Itza it has not been repaired to make the steps easier, what you see is what they built and the view from the top is amazing. There are also two other smaller ruins to see on your way to the big pyramid. After that we had our driver stop at Tulum which is different completely from Coba, but again something to see except that it is very touristy with a shopping arcade and even a Subway shop to eat lunch. If you would like anymore info feel free to email me.
Jennifer

Jan 20th, 2000, 06:11 PM
Patricio Rojas J.

Congratulations, Chicen Itza is a good place for to visit. In my opinion, the best way for you going to, is you'll take a bus tour, because the trip in long (3 or 4 hours) and traffic advices arenīt very clear. Tour in bus, it cost US$ 50 per person and there are a lot of lines, but for me the best is "Grey Line". This prices not include the meal at noon and trip is for one day.
About Cozumel, you should take the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel. It cost US$ 10 per person, one way, and it take you 30 minutes.

Jan 21st, 2000, 04:55 AM
dan woodlief

I would consider Chichen Itza a must, but as Jennifer explained, Coba is a different and very interesting site too. To get to Coba, we took the bus to Tulum (the Tulum Ruinas stop - a very small station) and hired a cab for $35. This gave us the round trip and two hours at the site. It is a very good way to go, and we tried it based on Lonely Planet's recommendation. I was told that buses back from Coba can be unpredictable.

Jan 21st, 2000, 03:12 PM
BRAD

I'VE BEEN NUMEROUS TIMES BY RENTAL CAR. DRIVING IS FAIRLY EASY IN MEXICO AND THE SIGNAGE IS BETTER THAN WHAT IS PROVIDED IN SOME US STATES. IF YOU DO GET TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT CHICHEN ITZA MAKE SURE YOU GO SEE THE WONDERFUL NIGHT SHOW. THEY HAVE HEAD PHONES YOU CAN RENT (ON TOP OF ANOTHER ENTRY FEE) THAT TELLS THE (BELIEVED) STORY. IT WAS VERY NICE AND I THOUGHT WELL WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY. ALL RUINS HAVE SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO OFFER UXMAL, PALENQUE, TIKAL, COBA, OR WHERE EVER AND ALL HAVE MUCH BEAUTY TO BE ADMIRED. IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU LIKE. SOME PEOPLE ONLY LIKE THE RESTORED RUINS AND THINK THE UNRESTORED RUINS ARE "JUST A PILE OF ROCKS". I LIKE THEM ALL. BEST WISHES.