Chichen Itza and Coba tour advice

Oct 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Chichen Itza and Coba tour advice

Hello,
Has anyone visited Chichen Itza or Coba by tour, with either Playa.info or CancunVista?
If so, what was your experience like?
Thanks.
Oct 28th, 2006, 06:35 AM

We have visited both by renting a car and driving ourselves. It's easy to do and signage is good so you won't get lost. There's an excellent map with both sites included at cancunmap.com - get the Chichen Itza map.
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I drive myself too. I've heard Playainfo tours are great just never done one.
Oct 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM

We also have done both and both were on tours. They are very different experiences. Chichen Itza is incredible but is a much further drive from Cancun/Playa Car area. It is completely excavated. The pyramid is huge and steep - can be a littel scary coming down.

We did the Coba tour in combination with a stop at a Mayan Village. It was only about 45 minutes from Playa Car. They are still excavating it so it was interesting to see a work in progress. We close Coba the second time because we were vacation with families and we all had kids and thought the long drive time to Chichen Itza would be too much. I dont know either of the tour groups you listed, sorry.
Oct 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
I like the independence of visiting the ruins, well, independently - but from my reading, it seems that the bus schedule from PDC to places like Chichen, and/or Coba(from Tulum)are infrequent, and make planning a little tricky. Another question: would you definitely avoid going to the ruins (say Tulum)on a sunday, during February, as it would be way too crowded - or - is that time of year busy regardless what day of the week we visit?
And yet another question: We'll be staying about a week in PDC then 2 or 3 nights in Cancun.
We're thinking of spending our entire time in PDC. Is there anything in particular that we would really miss - by not going to Cancun?
Thanks again.
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM

You can no longer climb the castillo at Chichen Itza. When I'm down there I try not to drive on Sundays as every one is off from work and the roads are a little more crowded. I'd rather just not do it though I've done it in the past. I definitely do not drive at night and in February it will get dark early. Just my preference. Regardless if you leave early and reach the ruins as they open you can avoid the buses and it makes for a much nicer morning.
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM

I have visited both, also by rental car. The roads are excellent and well signed.
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I did not know that you can no longer climb El Castillo. In view of that, I would opt for Coba.

As far as missing anything in Cancun vs staying the whole time in PDC, personally I avoid Cancun and much prefer the PDC area. To me, Cancun is the same as Waikiki Beach in Hawaii - just a stretch of hotels on a white sand beach. It is touristy and can be a popular place for the college crowd to go. Just my two cents.