Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Chicagoans heading to Buenos Aires - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you all have seen this question posted a thousand times, but…

I am traveling to Buenos Aires with a group of 7 in November – we will be there for 7 days. Can anyone recommend BA “musts”? Yes, I would love to see some Tango, Evita’s tomb, and eat some meat (although I am traveling with vegetarians, ugh), and of course, watch a quality soccer game (I used to play pro soccer and need to show these gals that the rest of the world does, in fact, LOVE soccer).

We are big into sightseeing, but are interested in good food (quality restaurants) as well as some fun nightlife. Any recommendations? Also, gotta have a good cup of coffee. Any thoughts on a good café?

What about good places to stay? I have heard good things about the Claridge Hotel. Any thoughts? Do we want to stay downtown? I once lived in Italy, so I, personally, would love to stay in the Italian part of town. Not sure what it is called, but any thoughts on that? Ideally, we would love to be centrally located. We are definitely not on a backpacker’s budget, but we are not able to spend $300/night for a room.

Finally, what about day trips? I’ve checked various forums and every single one has such a broad spectrum of opinions. Should we go stay on a ranch and go horseback riding (remember, vegetarians!)? Should we go to Tigre? What about Uruguay? Oh yeah, the group is BIG on wine…any suggestions for a winery tour.

In sum, we are an adventurous groups (all well traveled) and really wanting to see “Argentine culture”. We’re not shy about meeting people. We are simply looking to have a fun time while really getting the opportunity to experience Argentina as a country and as a people.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:42 AM

November is a great time to Visit Buenos Aires! Late Spring.

Soccer. The latest FIFA ratings leading up to next year's World Cup: 1. Brazil 2. Argentina. 3ff. The rest of the world.

3. Claridge. I don't like the area. Noise, pollution, clogged with people during the day and overly quiet at night, since it is in a commercial district.....As well, many of the rooms are small and have not been remodeled recently. Great lobby and bar though....

Have you looked at the Hotel Bobo in Palermo or the Belair in Recoleta. Both are fine hotels in much better areas. Speaking of areas, the Italian influence is pervasive in Buenos Aires...so I am not certain you will find an Italian section, other than perhaps some parts of La Boca...and believe me you don't want to stay in La Boca, where it is not particularly safe at night.

More later about restaurants and things to do.

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Daawgy. Thanks for the info. We have actually decided to rent an apartment for the week. How do I get soccer tickets? And can you suggest a good place to see some tango?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:56 PM

About Tango / Evita and Tigre

Tango:

There are a few Tango shows, like "Señor Tango" that are fun ,basically a tourist product that any "Porteño " will also enjoy if interested in Tango.Surely DD from this forum will suggest other good proposals .

Cafe Tortoni is also a classic and "must", try it when Tango singer María Volonte sings. SHE is excellent , has sang in many occasions for our ex President Menem in official partys. Also a beautifull women .

You mention Evita´s tomb.....

The Recoleta cementery , should be visited with someone knowing the "who is who" and able to provide some history and "histories" around personalities that rest in the "City of Angels" as Omar Lopez Mato ( Author of City of Angels),names it.
Evita´s a subject in itself, but in my opinion should be seen as 1 more, as there are many others personalities that deserve special attention because of their story .

Tigre :

The origin of the name comes from a Jaguar that lived by, terrified inhabitants , and was killed during 1840 aprox.
Its a small city that during the "Belle Epoque", up to 1930 , was a classic for week ends and summer holidays for wealthy Porteños.
Sorroundings ; the Delta islands, is a huge area or 200 rivers and islands that are a great choice for full day tours for nature lovers and outdoors.

In my opinion Tigre is very Touristy
with nothing "WOW" , but the Delta IF you enjoy outdoors is WOW ! .
I recommend a Private boat tour for a full day stooping to lunch in a Hostelery crossing the Paraná de las Palmas River. ( La Pascuala Delta Lodge / Hosteria Los Pecanes )
That rives was route of early Portuguese and Spanish while their conquering campaign on the River Plate .

Many other interesting atractions in BA.
Estancias , walking tours and of course steaks, good Malbecs ( Help DD ) and BBQs..

Good luck and enjoy Argentina !
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM

Good news for Chicagoans ??...........who knows .

According to some Economists the U$S to peso, actually 2,85 = 1 U$S , should after elections in October 3,5 to 1.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM

Be careful about the agency you use for apartment rental. Ask for references and check them out thuroughlyi.

I can recommend several agencies; apartmentsba.com is the largest group I have worked with, offering upscale apartments in Recoleta and Palermo. I have also used shortstayinba.com for a two bedroom apartment in Palermo (it is spectacular), and internetvacationzone.com for an apartment near the Four Seasons Hotel.

None of these apartment groups are the least expensive in town, but they all offer quality apartments and good service.