Cheap hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a inexpensive hotel in Puerto Vallarta. Something around US$50 and still a nice place to stay for a week. Please, advise.

Thank you!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's my favorite. I've stayed at Posada Roger at least a dozen times over the years (and as recently as June '08). It's a great hotel for the price.
www.hotelposadaderoger.com
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM

If you can get in Suze's idea is Ideal!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Cheap/with pool:
Posada Roger
Hotel Rio
Posada don Miguel

Even cheaper/no pool:
Posada Lily
Yasmine
Hotel Azteca
Villa del Mar
Ana Liz
Belmar
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 05:58 PM

www.hotelrosita.com It's a great older hotel, right on the malecon. Nice pool, nice staff, right on the beach. I get their internet special, which with tax is $62, and you reserve it on line and pay when you get there. Because the internet special rooms are above the main drag, I bring earplugs. You can pay more and get rooms facing the ocean.
You can call them from the USA to the hotel in Mexico toll free. 1-877-813-6712. I have called them and they have given me the internet rate over the phone. Have fun. Wish I was there.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM

On my post the first bunch are $40-50usd/night. The second list $25-40usd/night.

Also I agree Rosita's a nice hotel if you prefer to be in El Centro, instead of on the south-side.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Following Suze's advise and report on Fodor's site, I've called Posada Roger, and made a reservation at $60/night for a single room. Forgot to ask about a discount for a week-long stay, and Eduardo (the guy on the phone) didn't mention it.

Now I am looking through a couple of travel guide books and seeing some other nice options for less (considering that I prefer ocean to pool). Hotel Rosita is one of them. But also Casa Maria Elena looks quite attractive (anybody knows it?).

I always prefer a quieter place to a fancier one.

Thanks again

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM

My Home in PV for 22 years.
http://www.cuatrovientos.com/
Very quite & peaceful with lots of returnees. Mostly 40 plus crowd but not all. No Children allowed. Excellent restaurant, fantastic roof top bar views. Check it out. In your budget.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM

Marina Elena on F. Rodriguez looks like (and gets good comments) a great apartment situation (it's across from Casa Andrea so I've walked past it loads of times).

If you want to get something basic and cheap, look to the hotels on Madero like Hotel Azteca and Ana Liz. Or Yasmine or Posada Lily (B. Badillo and Olas Altas area). Those are even less money.

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:20 PM

Oh and when I've gotten discounts at Posada Roger it was thru email ahead of time with whoever is managing the reservations (not the front desk who doesn't seem to have authority to grant stuff like that). I'm not sure if my discount was for being there over a week, or for paying cash in full upon arrival (I did both), but they tossed in a mini-frig for free ($5/day value) and I paid $2 less per day than was posted on the website.

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Yasmine & Posada Lily are 'more' expensive than the Azteca and F. Madero hotels, here's a list:
http://vallartainfo.com/hotels.html#budget
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM

Sorry that my post was not clear... I meant it to read that those 4 hotels are all less money than Posada Roger, Rosita, or Cuatro Vientos (which are still very reasonable and great hotels).

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM

I reckon you should look at Hotel Encino (one block from the beach) or La Gaviotta (on the beach) in this price range. The Encino quoted me 542 pesos and the Gaviota 570. Of the two I preferrred the Encino, it has a pool on the roof, a nice patio area and nice staff. It's just along from Cafe Roma with free internet and a nice balcony to sit on. Both hotels seem to be Mexican-run and are less than 5 minutes from the old town area, bus station, lots of restaurants. Just along the street is the central square, cathedral, Malecon, all kinds of action.
I checked out of Posada Roger after one night because of the high price (they were charging $90 a night at the end of the New Year holiday on January 3) and because the place was over-run with small kids who made the pool and deck area unusable with dive-bombing each other in the water, splashing everyone and everywhere, and running screaming all over the hotel. Not the hotel's fault I know, but I prefer not to be in that kind of environment. Plus my room was very small and dark for $90!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM

While I adore Posada Roger, I would never give the price they were asking for rooms over this Christmas holiday. Absolutely ridiculous (but obviously they were able to get it, and they are nothing is not sharp business people at that place).

And yes it is popular with Mexican families too, so if you are adverse to having lots of laughter around... probably not your best choice. When this happens, I solve the problem by grabbing a beer and joining the party in the pool!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM

There was no party by the pool to join. There were no adults in sight. And no-one was drinking beer, they were all small children. There was also no laughter, just screaming.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM

OK Gertie, I understand. Sorry I did not mean to question your bad experience.

But unless THIS poster is going at Christmas-time next year, the higher room rate doesn't apply. And I've been at Roger's many times when there were NO children in the entire place. Just the luck of the draw. There could be screaming kids at Gaviota or Encino sometime too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM

"I reckon you should look at Hotel Encino (one block from the beach) or La Gaviotta (on the beach) in this price range. The Encino quoted me 542 pesos and the Gaviota 570. Of the two I preferrred the Encino, it has a pool on the roof, a nice patio area and nice staff. It's just along from Cafe Roma with free internet and a nice balcony to sit on. Both hotels seem to be Mexican-run and are less than 5 minutes from the old town area, bus station, lots of restaurants. Just along the street is the central square, cathedral, Malecon, all kinds of action.
I checked out of Posada Roger after one night because of the high price (they were charging $90 a night at the end of the New Year holiday on January 3) and because the place was over-run with small kids who made the pool and deck area unusable with dive-bombing each other in the water, splashing everyone and everywhere, and running screaming all over the hotel. Not the hotel's fault I know, but I prefer not to be in that kind of environment. Plus my room was very small and dark for $90!"

One of the things I love about the Los Cuatro Vientos has a No children policy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM

I'm telling you...Hotel Rosita's internet rate of $62 (including tax) is a good thing!! But you have to be okay with being on the beach and the malecon.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM

I agree I agree that Rosita is another good choice. But Posada Roger single room in low season is $38/night. Since the OP asked for around $50... I was trying to find hotels to suggest that are less than that amount.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM

Hi Suze. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -