Search

Chan Chic in February

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chan Chic in February

We will be spending a week at Chan Chick in February. Anyone been there recently care to share their experiences?

Also, any recommended items to take that we may not have already thought of?

Finally, for the photographers in the bunch, is it worth taking a 200-500mm zoom lens? Its heavy and I am not sure how much I would use it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Wow, two typos in one post on the same word. Of course, I meant to say Chan Chich...its late, what can I say.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM

Check out the Belize Forum if you haven't already, and search the accommodation section for recent reports on Chan Chich. I've pasted my generic CA packing list below (from the Thorntree FAQ Thread). I HIGHLY recommend you go carry-on only. For Belize you won't need the fleece I take for higher altitude countries like Guatemala and Honduras. Have a great trip and please tell us all about it when you get home.

I can pack everything I need for an extended trip into a carry-on sized bag by choosing clothes that layer. I have a carry-on sized conversion pack (straps tuck away as needed) that has an attached day pack. I pack valuables and some personal items in the day pack and most of the clothes (that I'm not wearing) in the main compartment. Here's what I'm planning to take to Honduras next summer to accommodate 2-3 weeks inland with high altitude mountain hikes included and 2-3 weeks of beach time:

3-4 wicking-type t-shirts
1 light weight long sleeved shirt
2 pairs of light weight convertible (zip off to become shorts) long pants
1 sarong (skirt, swim wrap, doubles as towel or sleeping sheet)
1 bandana
1 sunhat with strap
1 light weight sleeveless nightgown
2 swimsuits
1 light weight fleece jacket (liner type that can be worn alone)
1 light weight goretex rain coat
uns and socks (incl. 1 neoprene pair I wear under Keens for hiking and under fins for diving/snorkel’g)
flip flops for beach and showers
Keen water shoes for everything else (they have great support and a rubber toe protector) or Merrell Aqua Sports (amphibious)

Cash, ATM and VISA cards, passport, etc.
Flight and lodging reservations, emails, receipts, etc.
Small medical kit and sewing kit
Cheap watch with alarm
Toiletries and prescription meds
Sunglasses, spare glasses, disposable contacts for diving/rainforests
Sunblock and bug stuff (Cactus Juice and Sawyer's Time Release Deet Formula, baby oil for sand flies)
Lip stuff
Water purification pump or uv purifier (I'm a budget traveller)
Collapsible drinking cup
LCD headlamp
Compass
Earplugs
Camera, etc. (and underwater bag or 1-2 underwater disposables)
Card reader for blogging
Smallish waterproof binoculars
Guidebook and copied map pages
Laminated plant and animal i.d. cards
Journal/writing materials
Reading material
Small gifts for kids and hosts
Small dice and yahtzee papers
A small, flexible disc (like a frisbee)
Various ziplocks, cable ties, small bungie cords
3-4’ of duct tape wrapped around a waterproof marker
String and a few clothespins
Half a roll of t.p. removed from core and flattened

I buy water and reuse the bottle and usually pick up an inexpensive pocket knife when I get there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:02 AM

Oops - forgot the link to the Belize Forum: http://www.belizeforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info hopefulist. I have looked at that forum before but there are no trip reports posted for recent year. Tripadvisor has some great information but I was hoping for more nuggets.

You packing tips and list are great. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM

No problem - the only payment I ask is a trip report.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:07 AM

CC is a wonderful lodge and destination. Nice acocmmodations, meals, staff, grounds are expansive and impressive, great guides and trails for horses, hiking and biking. Fabulous birding and good chance to see lots of wildlife.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Chan Chich is great... I took my Nikon D100 and a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8. I left my Sigma 50-500mm at home.

The vast majority of situations will require you to handhold your lens and the 80-200mm is about the largest I can deal with. In addition, much of the wildlife will come very close, so a longer lens wasn't really needed. Also, we had great bird sightings either right off our cabana or the deck of the main lodge.

If you want some samples, let me know (leave your email address).
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Astein12, I was thinking that a tripod and big lens would be good for hanging around bridge (I hear it is a wildlife hotspot) or the Lagoons that you can visit.

Sounds like you recommend against the big lens. Maybe I should forget the tripod as well and just bring a monopod?

In Costa Rica last year, the low light of the jungle combined with hand holding led to some less than crystal clear shots. I thought some extra steadiness would be needed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:33 AM

The bridge and the front deck of the main buiding are both great spots. If your plans are to stay put in a single spot, then a tripod and the long lens wouldn't be a bad idea.

We actually spend most of our time hiking thru the jungle, so hand-held was the only option. The sightings were quite close and light was pretty good in most cases (the canopy isn't that dense in many areas). I'm actually pretty good with hand-held (I've got good moving hummingbird pics) and also like to use my wife shoulder as a monopod. I've also resisted replacing my old Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8. I have the older AF version that does not have the tripod ring, so it makes it a bit easier to handhold. Been looking for a deal on the newer VR version.

I'm a good amateur phototog, but it was a hiking trip with photography as an extension. If you look at it as the opposite, they tripod/lens w]could definitely be an asset.

As you mentioned, shorter lens, monopod, teleconverter could work as well.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I just read on the Chan Chich sightings page that they spotted a Jaguar near the suspension bridge recently. I know the odds are minute, but how incredibly awesome would it be to see a Jaguar there...
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 04:54 PM

We never did see one (except at the Belize zoo). We saw several good sets of tracks (and puma tracks as well), but no actual cats.

Good luck!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:55 AM

I saw an ocelot and cubs among other creatures while at CC.