Celebrating mezcal in Oaxaca

Jul 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Celebrating mezcal in Oaxaca

Today was the 2nd Monday of the Guelaguetza in Oaxaca.
There are always bunches of other events during this time that celebrate the culture of the region. Mezcal is part of that culture, and has its own fair to allow producers to show off their wares to the public. It's fun -- see for yourselves: http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...9&page=1#86392
Jul 27th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Wow, what a colorful display! I like your narrative style too. For some reason, I have never had mezcal while in Oaxaca (except at the cemetary on Day of the Dead when I was invited to sit and drank some w/a family at a gravesite). But when I was in Queretaro two weeks ago I went to a Oaxacan restaurant that had lots of smoky mezcals and I tried a few. They were really good. Now I need to go back to Oaxaca and do a proper mezcal tasting.
Jul 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Wonderful photos and captions! Thanks.

Need, really need, to get back to Oaxaca.
Jul 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Aw, y'all are nice -- thank you!

The quality really varied at the mezcal fair, although none of it was bad. The absolute best one I tried was the last, as it was right by the exit gate. This was family-produced stuff and the tobala was killer. It the most expensive mezcal I encountered there and well worth it. I happened to be tasting along with some older men, and we were all sniffing it, and raising our eyebrows, and nodding in happy approval to each other.

I attended one other event of the season, the Guelaguetza in Zaachila. If you go to the Mexico board of anyport, you can see my not-yet-completed report. Stay tuned there, though, as I have pictures of scorpion and snake mezcals.
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM

There's also some great places to get mezcal in DF! Funny I just stumbled on this post, I put this up just a few days ago:

http://evitravels.tumblr.com/post/83...o-bien-tambien

Love your pictures and narrative too. Hope to make it to Oaxaca soon!
Jul 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM

the owner of el naranjo treated us to their stash of home-brewed mezcal not long ago and it was unbelievable. I'm not a big hard liquor guy nor a huge mezcal or tequila fan. but if you can get him to hook you up, go for it. much smoother than what's available in the stores.
Jul 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Evisch, is that your blog?! Whooo, that is stellar photography and insightful commentary. Thanks so much for turning me on to Chasing the Trade Winds.

And thank you so much for the compliments. Is there a private messaging part of Fodor's? There are people like you to whom I'd love to say, "wanna meet for coffee?", but I really don't want to post contact details on the internet.

Baldone, I know what you mean about private stash mezcal. I know a family who make quite good mezcal, but the stuff they age and keep for themselves -- oooeeee!

Do try to attend the mezcal fair at some point, as the differing quality and tastes are a big revelation.

Go to #10 here: http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...4&page=1#86647 to see some alarmingly interesting additives to mezcal.