Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Celebrating Day of the Dead in Oaxaca - 2015 - Thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are just beginning to plan our trip to Oaxaca this upcoming November to experience the Day of the Dead festivities and need some guidance. We know the city becomes quite crowded and expensive because of the festivities, but are still hoping the experience is worth it.

Hoping to learn:

- What part of town to stay in? I like the idea of being in the midst of the action, so I assume the center is the best place to stay? I already tried contacting Casa Oaxaca as I had heard it's an amazing hotel, but even though we're nine months out, they are already booked up! Any other suggestions on hotels?

- We like the idea of doing a few day tours, but are not interested one of the all inclusive seven day tour, or the like. We'd like to do a culinary tour or two, and of course, visit the cemeteries and market with a tour if worth it.

Any and all advice and suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 07:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Don't hate on me for the following comments. Just hear me out. For many Mexicans, DOD is a very real thing, for others, not so much. I struggle with the fact that something that is so real and personal to many people has become a tourist spectacle. Personally, I think the DOD festivities are silly and a bunch of superstitious nonsense. That said, I try to respect those beliefs and not intrude in what is a very intimate and personal time, no matter whether I share those beliefs or not. I guess I wish others would do the same, no matter how commercialized the day(s) has become. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless you, as a visitor, share those same beliefs and customs, maybe you might want to make the focus of your Oaxaca visit less DOD oriented. I wonder how Americans would feel if foreigners treated Memorial Day as nothing more than just another quaint and curious custom among many. Oaxaca has so much more to see and experience.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can understand Baldone's point of view. Although I do not believe in an afterlife, I do think Day of the Dead is a beautiful myth. Perhaps there are other, public displays that would be less intrusive to attend than the cemetery visits, should you share his concerns?

To tell the truth, I am more concerned with reports from a friend of mine who has lived in San Luis Potosi the last fifteen years, who says in his area DoD festivities are being replaced with . . . Halloween. Apparently, it's considered more modern and fashionable.

Bonus points if you've read the great 20th century novel which takes place on the Day of the Dead.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Traditions Mexico does some short tours out of Oaxaca. We have traveled with them in the past, and they are excellent. They also do a Day of the Dead three-day tour with celebrations in the three valleys of Oaxaca. I think you might find that more spiritual and less Halloween.
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 03:37 AM

Baldone makes some good points.

If you do decide to go to Oaxaca, know that most hotels are located in the center and the city is small enough that you will be able to walk to just about anyplace. There are only a few, larger, hotels that would NOT be within walking distance of the Zocalo. My point is that just about anyplace will be well located; I stayed at Casa Oaxaca and there are many small hotels on Garcia Vigil and neighboring streets. More important is to secure a booking very soon for that period.

Take a look at Casa de los Milagros.
http://www.casadelosmilagros.com/

And at Las Bugambillas:
http://lasbugambilias.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 03:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Fra, Halloween is alive in well in Mexico. From roadside vendors selling ceramic Jack-o-lanterns to kids trick or treating saying "queremos halloween".
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"Fra, Halloween is alive in well in Mexico."

Yeah. Sucks.