Help for Guanajuato and Oaxaca

Jul 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Help for Guanajuato and Oaxaca

I'm looking for a place to stay in Guanajuato for a couple of nights. I like nice hotels. I saw a couple of places on the intranet: Villa Maria Cristina and Casa Estrella de la Valenciana. Would either one of those be good or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Or should we go to Oaxaca instead? We are going to go to Mexico City for a few days first and then we're looking for a smaller more laid back town for a few days before we return.

Thanks for any input
Jul 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM

I have been to both. Not sure what the situation is in oaxaca right now. Seems they keep having problems in that city even though it is one of my favorites. I would opt for Guanajuato. It is also one of my favorite cities in Mexico. In 2002 we stayed at the Hotel Parador San Javiar. Haven't been back since but plan to. Also you might check our hotels down at the square. A little closer to the center of the city
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM

Very tough choice. Guanajuato is more beautiful but Oaxaca is more, well, fascinating.

In either place, you'll want to stay in town rather than in the outskirts. In Guanajuato I stayed in a quiet back room at the Luna for several days and loved it. Not as luxurious as the 2 you mentioned, but just fine - well decorated rooms and public spaces, excellent staff, and great outdoor space right on the Jardin Union. I don't think there are any luxurious hotels in Guanajuato proper.

In Oaxaca I stayed at the Casa del Sotano. Very nice but not luxurious. Oaxaca is full of luxurious hotels, though. Camino Real and Casa Oaxaca come immediately to mind.
Jul 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM

A couple years ago we stayed at Alama del Sol right in the center of Guanajuato. Loved it!
I enjoy both towns and they are very different. Agree with robertino characterization of the 2 towns. One nice thing about Guanajuato is that you can day trip to Delores Hidalgo and San Miquel de Allende. It's also much closer to Mex City.
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM

I agreed with robertino, stay in town, to me it seems guanajuato's town has more simple, clean places to stay, and im sure you know in order to enjoy ur visit, prepare to walk a lot.

oaxaca, is fun, two years ago i took a trip to see the indians up in the high sierras, that was the highlight of my trip, have fun and be safe
Aug 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM

I looved Guanajuato!

Sorry I can't speak to the hotels since I was in a homestay and didn't research other accommodations. Here's a photo-essay of my time in Guanajuato if you want to see something more of the area - and yes, stay in town:

week one: http://averysenioryearabroad.com/Chapter.aspx?id=222
week two: http://averysenioryearabroad.com/Chapter.aspx?id=224
Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM

Well there is no comparison between the two places. I like them both but they are very different. Guanajuato is more European and Oaxaca has a heavy indigenous influence. By nice hotels I am not sure what you are loooking to spend. A high end and very nice is Hotel Quinta de Las Acacias in Gunajuato. In Oaxaca the main luxury hotel and best located is el Camino Real. I usually don't stay in high end places. I was just in Oaxaca (tourism is way, way down by the way) at Las Golondrinas. About $46.00 U.S. a night for a nice room in a quiet garden. Anyway both towns are so different its hard to say. You might throw Taxco on your list and likewise (although it is a City) Puebla is very close and a whole different feel then el D.F.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:24 AM

The post on this was July 2008-last year