Search

Catorce real

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:20 AM
Monkey

Catorce real

I was thinking about going somewhere in Mexico where I haven't been before. has anyone been to Catorce Real. Can you tell me about it, is it worth a trip for a few days? Thanks

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:29 AM
Jean Valjean

Do you mean Real de Catorce in San Luis? I have been there a couple of times. The name "ghost town" defines the feel of the place. It is run down, weird, and can be interesting for a day or two. More than that, you'll probably get bored. There is almost NOTHING to do.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:43 AM
Monkey

I did mean Real de Catorce- just proves I really don't know where I want to go. Anyway you don't make it sound to thrilling. I have been all through southern Mexico and on both coasts so I wanted to try somthing else. Ideas? Thanks-

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Jean Valjean

It is interesting, maybe even thrilling, but only for a very limited amount of time.<BR><BR>Have you been around central Mexico? In places like Queretaro, Guanajuato, San Miguel, Taxco, and the like?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Monkey

Only to Cuernavaca and Taxco. I was going to bus from the border. Maybe I should head a little further south and check out Queretaro, Guanajuato, etc?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Jean Valjean

Maybe its just me, but along the border there's very little to see... Try any of these:<BR>Guanajuato is a wonderful place. Dramatic location, great hotels, nice sights and good food.<BR><BR>San Miguel is rather touristy, but still has its charm.<BR><BR>Queretaro is a larger city, but the downtown area is very nice. Great restaurants.<BR><BR>Zacatecas may be the closest (5 hours from Monterrey, 7 hours from Laredo). It is a very beautiful city, has a couple of great museums, very nice hotels, great food.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Monkey

Thanks, I think I'll try Zacateces and Guanajuato and if I have time Real de Catorce on the way back. Thanks!<BR>