Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Casa Miramar or Casa Coco at Bosque del Cabo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those in the know, which is preferable for 3 adults? We shall most likely have a car to drive to lodge for meals. Reading on post about GTG that puma and cub seen in garden, Should I consider CasaTeca?. Thinking about a spur of the moment visit and these 3 are available for my dates. Stayed at Casa Teca last year and didn't mind the walk. Thanks.

Karen
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM

So they only have houses available during your time, no cabinas? Cause many of the deluxes have lofts that could hold 3 easily.

Hmmm, I'd probably say Miramar with Coco a close second. Miramar you wouldn't even need the car, the 10 minute walk is pretty easy (except for that damn hill!) and is actually kind of fun at night. You'd have the pool there, which is a definite bonus. Of course it's all very open so you'd just have to make sure everyone is okay with that and possible "visitors".

Coco you'd definitely need the car for. It doesn't have a pool and only has 2 bedrooms but is really well put together, screened in with a big deck. The deck doesn't have a view of the water per se, although it is there beyond the trees so you can see it a little bit. For me, Miramar edges ahead with the view and the pool.

Casa Teca, I always forget about it! You know its back there behind the stand of bamboo and I always tend to stumble up on it. I think the drawback would be no breeze and no (water) view, plus it's much smaller but if you enjoyed it on last stay then definitely keep it in the mix. I'd stay in any of them though.

One thing about the puma spotting - they're spotted all over, especially on the Titi which technically is closest to Coco and then Miramar, but over on the Teak farm as wll, so I wouldn't choose one over the other for that. It's all pure chance!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

tully, thanks for your response. Cabinas were not mentioned in email from Leonardo so I don't think any are available for the dates in question. Would they be preferable to the houses?
By the way, I enjoy your trip reports. I am still trying to make up my mind what area to go to, but I've narrowed it down to BdC and Selva Verde. Didn't see a whole lot of wildlife my 2 days at BdC last year. Strange, huh?! Scorpion in bathroom, great acoustics of the howlers, monkeys waking up in that big tree by the cabinas, and once some medium sized mammal walking the lawn area. I was leaning towards Casa Miramar for the reasons you mentioned if I chose BdC.

Karen.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM

I love Miramar and the plunge pool is great. Definitely less of a hike to the main grounds and other trails than Casa Coco. Casa Coco is newer and beautiful though.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Karen can't hurt just to double check with Leo, the cabinas would be of course less space but less money too. I like how they set up the new Pizote cabina - 2 doubles downstairs and then 2 more beds up in the loft, but it differs from the other cabinas in that it has bathroom & sink on the right side and then a sink and the outside shower on the left side. I thought it was a good idea especially with several people.

Thanks for reading my reports I've tried to pare it down over the years and not get so lengthy. Not sure why you had some bad luck, I'm usually tripping over the sensory overload. If I can offer advice? Walk so, so slowly. Okay granted I probably take it to the extreme (I was even passed by Philip on the Titi last trip and he walks pretty slowly) but I know at least 3 things I wouldn't have seen (a lone peccary, a tinnamou & a troop of squirrel monkeys) if I'd been moving at a normal clip.

What month are you thinking of?
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thank you, tully and hipvirgochick for your responses.
I'm spending Jan and Feb in Manuel Antonio; when son comes next week for 10 days, thought I'd take him and husband to BdC around the 5th or 6th. So most likely nothing else available other than the houses.
Thanks for the tip about walking slow, I'll try that.

Karen
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM

I agree - if any of the loft cabins are available, they're really nice and have great views. Ours had a king bed downstairs and two smaller beds in the loft area. I'm surprised you didn't see more wildlife too; we saw all 4 species of monkeys just from our front porch. Hope you have better sightings this go round.