Search

Car rental insurance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental insurance

Hi all:
I have both AMEX Platinum and a MasterCard Platinum card and am wondering which to use while renting a car in Costa Rica. Both programs say they will cover the CDW insurance. I am wondering what you Costa Rica pros do in regards to purchasing extra insurance? I'll be renting a Nissan Pathfinder from Dollar. Thanks. Anna
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM

We always use our credit card for the insurance it offers as well. When doing business with Dollar (good company, by the way), they used to call and confirm that it was available. Then we'd have to decline that portion of the insurance with a signature. Seems like (my memory is foggy on this--and a few other things!) that out of about $17 per day coverage, our VISA card paid for $5. It helped!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Liability insurance (SLI) is mandatory in Costa Rica. Most credit cards only cover damage to the rental car it is called CDI. I know my visa platinum card has only CDI. Liability insurance runs $14 to $20 per day depending on the rental car provider.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM

We rented a SUV in CR last month. After reading various posts and talking to people we opted for the additional liability insurance. It cost us $11.00 per day (Avis) and offers peace of mind. Also check to see if there's and additional fee for a 2nd driver. Do a very slow deliberate exterior and interior check of your car. Make sure the turn signals, lights windshield wipers etc work.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We're off this morning!

Anna