Can't go too far from airport in CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and another couple will be spending a long weekend (Thurs-Sun) in CR in Feb. Because our time is so short and we don't want to spend it driving, where could we stay without driving more than a couple of hours from the airport? I would love to stay in a eco-friendly/spa, with a restaurant or at least with places to eat nearby. Btw, my tickes haven't been purchased yet, so we could fly into San Jose or Liberia.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM

You might like Xandari www.xandari.com. It's about 20 minutes from the airport but seems miles away - they have a spa, nice open air restaurant on site, pools/hot tubs, hiking trails, and some small waterfalls on the property. The rooms have beautiful views, and they offer a lot of tours.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 04:06 AM

Xandari is great also

www.mybeaconescazu.com

better located for food ngihtlife

www.hotelpuntaleona.com on closest best beach from SJO

from LIR

www.costarica.bookit.com has the nearby www.riu.com for AI

Have fun,
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM

If you fly into Liberia, Hacienda Guachipelin has spa, pool, mud baths, waterfalls, horses, canopy, hiking, etc. and is less than 2 hours from the airport.

Also take a look at Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort and Thermal Spa - it also has all the above but is more expensive and a lot fancier. Likewise, under 2 hours from Liberia airport.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Unless Hotel Borinquen has improved its restaurant, I wouldn't go that route. On the other hand, it is a pretty property and the rooms are nice. It's just that there are no eating choices other than the restaurant. It came up way short, and we are people who are not foodies and love Costa Rican food.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM

I would like to second the recommendation for Xandari. It is near the airport but the grounds are immense and it has lots of walking paths, waterfalls, etc. You will see plenty of nature without even having to leave the hotel grounds. But the hotel is great in organizing transportation to anywhere you'd like to go. Staff were very helpful and informational. We stayed there for several days, then went down to Jaco for several days, and back to Xandari to stay close to the airport for our morning flight out of Costa Rica.

JoniC
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM

I'm on the Xandari bandwagon, but if you need something more economical I love Hotel Bougainvillea. It has beautiful grounds, secluded pool, tennis courts and a nice restaurant. It is about 20 min. from the airport and close to San Jose. You can walk to a small nearby town.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:50 AM

Two other places in that area that are beautiful and relaxing are Finca Rosa Blanca and Vista del Valle.