Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cancun, Cozumel or Puerta Vallarta? Please help..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Steve

I'm planning a trip to Mexico for mid-January 2003. Would like to take my girlfriend somewhere new. I've been to Cancun (with friends) but never been to Cozumel or PV. My initial pick was PV but after hearing about the hurricane, I'm hesitant. Don't know much about Cozumel. We're looking for some beautiful beaches and some nightlife. I know Cancun has both, but I wanted to try somewhere different. <BR><BR>Looking forward to hearing ppl's experience and opinions.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Steve

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Nancy

I'd suggest Playa del Carmen. (About 45 min. south of Cancun.)<BR>Has an awesome beach and great nightlife.<BR>Cozumel has both, but for what you're looking for, I think PDC would be a better fit.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:11 PM
hector

I've been to all three destinations that you mention. Based on your requirements, nice beaches and nightlife I would vote for Cancun. Cozumel has great waters and beaches. The snorkeling is world class, but I'm not too sure the nightlife will rock your world. Puerto Vallarta has many nightclubs and abundant nightlife. The Pacific waters aren't as spectacular but if you treck a little out of Puerto Vallarta proper, you'll find very nice beaches. Mismaloya(sp?) for example was a very cozy beach. Additionally, PV offers whale watching, if you're into that.<BR><BR>ALso, consider Cabo San Lucas which impressed us. The beaches are very nice, see Bahia Santa Maria, and the night life had some spark to it.<BR><BR>If you asked me, I'd advise you to try something new and visit Puerto Vallarta.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:02 PM
roger

pdc gets my vote. not much different than pvr but cleaner and the water is prettier. its a 40 mile 20 peso bus ride to cancun and a $11 dollar boat ride to coz. cancun has a great seafood rest. for $30usd it is all the seafood you can consume ie. lobster, crabs, shrimp, oysters, fish, chicken, steaks etc.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
susan

Just returned from 10 days in Puerto Vallarta (my 15th trip). Except for some reconstruction along the Malecon and Playa Los Muertos beach (and a few specific hotels out in the Hotel Zone), the hurricane should not keep you away.<BR><BR>I particularly recommend staying somewhere downtown (El Centro, Old Town, &quot;south of the river&quot... very romantic and nice mix of real Mexico and tourist amenities. All kinds of places and price ranges.