Can't decide - Si Coma No or La Posada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am having a hard time trying to decide between Si Coma No and La Posada. They both seem to have their good and bad points.

We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and a 7 year old twins. We have been to Costa Rica once before for a very short trip and stayed at Peace Lodge and Black Turtle Lodge in the OSA. I am looking for something close to nature and the beach, since that we the kids favorite thing when we were in Black Turtle. The beach was great but there were not many animals, and we ended up paying way too much to go on a hike to see some.

I have been reading the reviews on tripadvisor and while Si Coma No sounds great, and the website looks great, it gets some bad reviews that the rooms are dated, that it is far from MA and the beach and supposedly the pool is not heated and cold.

La Posada looks great, it is close to the beach and the park and not to mention inexpensive. I think my daugther would love the deer that comes to visit. But I am worried about some the reviews about the very small accomodations.

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks, Heather
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Manuel Antonio is the name of strip of hotels and tourist services, etc. located on the road between Quepos and the entrance to M.A. Park. There is an additional road with hotels, etc., branching off toward the ocean about halfway along this stretch. As long as your hotel is reached by this main road, you are "in" Manuel Antonio. Only a few hotels there have direct or even convenient access to the main public beach. There are free hotel shuttles, public buses, and you can walk (but not with 7-year-olds!), but there is no sidewalk. It's nice to take the shuttle from Si ComO No because the water, snacks, towels, books, toys, etc., are much easier to deal with.

We have stayed many nights at Si Como No, and experienced many pool temperatures, none freezing. I suppose that you could consider the rooms dated, but I don't know whether you are basing your judgment on upscale US properties, or typical Costa Rican-owned hotels. I have looked at the pictures of rooms at La Posada, and would call them "much more dated". I can't imagine any harm in datededness, being in somewhat the same predicament myself.

It's worth noting that Si Como No does not have TV and the like (although there is a small movie theater.) If you, the kids, or your husband can't endure a vacation without TV, then La Posada is for you. They advertise that they have it. For us, the lack of it (except at the bar) is a real plus.

There is plenty of wildlife at Si Como No. We would rather sit on the balcony and have it come visit is in droves than fight off ill-behaved capuchins intent on frisking us for goodies in the actual park.

Si Como No is a much larger property, with the possibility of there being other children around. We consider the cafe the top-notch and enjoy it very much.

You might look at Arenas del Mar, which is brand new, very "updated" in the American sense, and very close to two beaches, but not much else. Do check out the reviews, particularly with reference to one of the beaches.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM

We stayed at Hotel Si Como No in September. I thought it was fine, the only complaint was that our balcony was sort of right over one of the restaurants. The room was big and nicee enough, and I loved the pool, so I'm not sure what that comment is about. It is not on the beach, but they do have a complimentary shuttle that runs pretty regularly (something like every half hour I think.) It seemed like it would be good for kids, and Manuel Antonio had lots of wildlife. We have not stayed at La Posada, so I can't compare. The views at Si Como No are great, and they have two pretty decent restaurants, one nicer seafood, one Tex-Mex. They also have a small movie theater. Hope this helps a bit!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Si Como No is really popular with familes - they have two restaurants, a movie theater, kid and adult pools. It gets good reviews. We had friends that stayed there that really liked it. It's in a good location, so it would probably be my pick. Oh, and they have a great gift shop and internet service which we used.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Kinkazote, I think I saw you quoted in the new CR guide - did you get yours?
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your responses. I thought that Si Como No would be perfect when I saw it,but then got nervous. It looks beautiful from the pictures on the internet. You guys have convinced me!

I am in a daze right now because I feel so bad about the people hurt/killed in the earthquake and the Peace Lodge. That was one of the main reasons we were coming back to CR because the kids loved it and had such fun. It is such a shame that it seems to have sustained major damage. I guess I will have to re think a little more of our agend for June.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I really liked Si Como No. I have never been to La Posada. Its great for kids with the slide and movie theater. The best time I had in Manuel Antonio was when I stayed in a house, we rented it out and it ended up being a blast check out www.villascostarica.com or www.vacationvillascostarica.com as well as www.vrbo.com if you dont want to cook our 2nd time we did this it included a chef. It was nice to have more space then just a bedroom. We did share it with another family to cut down the cost, I would look into it. Check out www.bedandbreakfastcr.com if you need a place to stay not to far from the airport we stayed there with our daughter and felt very comfortable. Check out the upstairs one for the view. Have a fun trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Yes, Volcanogirl, I got my copy. It's nicely done and really packed with information. What they quoted was probably the least useful thing I have ever said. They probably picked my remarks because I can distinguish 'advice' from 'advise', and I never use apostrophe+S to form the plural.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM

We stayed at Si Como No for a week in Aug '07 and thoroughly enjoyed. Took 2 teenagers. I'll try not to repeat what others have said, but agree with most comments.

We certainly didn't think our room was dated (also got a great deal on a suite since it was off season). Prices of the inroom bar were actually reasonable.

This was an r & r vacation so we especially liked NOT having TV. And the kids loved having the separate pools. Never had a problem with pool temperature (but then we shouldn't in Aug).

The free shuttle to beach ran about every 30 min and was very convenient.

The onsight spa is excellent - if you need a break.

We were given free passes to the nature/butterfly center across the street. Well worth it.

Breakfast buffet was very good.

Great staff and very helpful in arranging excursions/trips.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:33 AM

k, good grammar is always a plus. Now I'm curious to go back and read your quote!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM

I've never been a fan of SiComoNo. Not that it's a bad place at all, but I can't justify paying that price for a room which I did find a little "Motel 8" , and musty.....

But of course, children are very impressed with the pool/ slide, little cimema, etc. Like a little resort.

La Posada is smaller, more intimate, & of course less $. You would "probably" see a bit more wildlife at Posada.....