COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cabo San Lucas-where to stay and play?

Old Feb 20th, 1997, 08:34 PM
D Kresge

Cabo San Lucas-where to stay and play?

My wife and I have stayed at the Solmar Hotel. It is the most southern hotel on the Baja. The direct beach acess is on the Pacific, but swimming is dangerous. The beach is beautiful and good for walking. A short hike, maybe 1/4 mile will put you on a selcluded beach on the Sea of Cortez. Also, it is about 1/4 mile easy walk into town. On resturant i would recommend is Mi Casa in town. Try the sea kayak for fun.

dale

Old Mar 5th, 1997, 03:01 AM
Chris Fabri

Check out the #1 site on Cabo San Lucas at www.cabo-san-lucas.com to find out any information about Cabo San Lucas!

Old Apr 1st, 1997, 07:39 AM
sue

Has anyone ever heard of La Quinta Hotel? What is it like? How far from town is it?

Old Aug 24th, 1997, 01:12 PM
Cassy Venters

Consider San Jose de Cabo, much less touristy, one of my favorites in Mexico.

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 03:20 PM
Bob

My wife and I just got back two weeks ago from a week in Cabo. We stayed in a condo closer to San Jose than CAbo San Lucas in the corridor. The places we went to that were top notch places to stay were the Westin Regina (WOW) , the Palmilla and the Twin Dolphins. THe best snorkeling, swimming, etc.,. are real close to all of these. There are only three swimmable beaches in the corridor between the towns, they are Santa Maria, Chileno and the one in downtown Cabo. I would stay out of Cabo at least a little bit because in town you get accosted by timeshare people. REality is that Cabo is pretty americanized with the Planet H'wood's, Squid Roe, Hard Rock, etc.. and timeshare people all over you on the streets. If you are looking for a big party, definitely go there. We did one night and had a ball. If you want quieter, more authentic, with much better restaurants stay closer to or visit San Jose. There are literally 25 major hotels/condos in between the two towns which are 15 minutes apart. The great restaurants we found there wer Damiana's, Tequila, The Tropicana Inn and Jasmines. If you want to fish, blow off Cabo where it's big $$$$ and go to La Playita (just outside of San Jose) and rent a Panga for up to three people for $100. Take a drive to Todos Santos and eat at the Santa Fe Cafe. Go during the day because the road is two lanes, no lights and overrun with cows, goats and horses which you will slaughter and wreck your car on if it's dark. For diving, you have to go to a place called Cabo Pulma up the sea of cortez side about an hour and 15 minutes. Do yourself a big favor and go up highway one and then cut over to the coast and cut back down. don't go up the coast from San Jose as it's a primitive dirt road and will destroy your kidneys. Cabo Pulma is the site of the longest living coral reef in North America (5 miles long), full of eels, turtles, etc... and it's a national wildlife preserve. Worth the trip. I can't help you with equipment because we only snorkeled but they are all over both Cabo and San Jose. You will be attacked on time share stuff. They will try to entice you with reduced costs on activities like diving, fishing, etc... and then ask you to sit through a 90 minute presentation. It's more like two and a half hours and they get really pissed when you tell them no. However, we did one at the Westin which was worth seeing anyway and got 1/2 off our car for the week, a bottle of tequila, use of their facilities for the day, 1 day free car, half off fishing and $50 cash. I don't have any problems telling them no so it was worth it once. If I had upper end bucks to spend I would stay at (in order) 1. Westin Regina 2. Palmilla 3. Finisterra 4. Twin Dolphins 5. Solmar
If you do want to fire it up go to El Squid Roe, Cabo Wabo and the Giggling Marlin. Also one good eating place nearer Cabo San L. is Edith's. The best other than that are in San Jose. have fun. E-mail me if you want more information. by the way if you want smaller condo place for about $100 a night with kitchen, pool only thirty seven units right on zipper's beach (big surfers beach) I can highly recommend a place called Mira Vista. They're on the internet if you search for condos in cabo or san jose. Have fun.

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 11:55 AM
susan

When in Cabo we stay at the Hotel Twin Dolphin.
It is wonderful and has one of the world's most
photographed pools. The view is spectacular
from the rooms or dining area. Mocambo grill
is great in Cabo and the best is the drive to
Todos Santos, 1 hr. away, for the best Italian
food in the world and I've been to Italy. Call
to find out the hours before you drive there.
The restaurant is Cafe Santa Fe and once you've
eaten their tiramisu you'll never try another.

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 10:13 AM
kathy

Try the Bahia Hotel or Cabo Villas. They are both beautiful properties right above the safe swimming beach (2min walk) and close to downtown (5min walk). Bahia is 107 units, pool, jacuzzi, pool bar, restaurant, daily maid service. Cabo Villas is a 9 unit villa. Two pools, jacuzzi, ball court, barbecue area, daily maid service. Feels like your in your own home. Great staff. Contact me for more information. Great Food - too many restaurants to name, but I will.