Cab ride from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of taking a cab from the airport to Manuel Antonio. Do all cab drivers drive this far or will it be hard for me to find one willing to go that distance? Also, how trustworthy and reliable are the cab drivers in Costa Rica?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:52 AM

You'll be in a "Turismo" (tourism) van as opposed to a taxi. Your hotel can make arrangements; I'll post our driver's phone number as soon as I find it. You can also find numbers posted elsewhere on this board. Cost is $100, and the trip takes about 3 hours. Drivers will stop anywhere along the way you ask them to.

Our driver Jose was extremely reliable - he even called us the day before he was taking us back to San Jose to confirm. He also called the hotel that morning to update us on his ETA. Taxi drivers in MA were trustworthy (as far as we know). Only issue was the price, which varied from trip to trip
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

So you can't just grab any cab from the airport and say "take me to Manuel Antonio por favor", you have to reserve one of these private taxis?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Haven't done it, but am sure you can make arrangements with a cabbie at the airport. At least I would be surprised if you couldn't negotiate something. Can your hotel provide this information for you?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:57 PM

We just grabbed a dude and negociated . The tourismo van was taking too long etc. , kids were tired , so we spoke to afew guys and off we went .
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM

That's my understanding, Ian. I'm sure you could arrange for an airport pickup; we saw several of these vans when we arrived. Other options are the bus (either Interbus or Grayline) or a domestic flight (Sansa from SJO, Nature Air from Pavas). Bus is around $25 o/w (I think - we never seriously considered it); airfare is $50 o/w. Flights are often full and/or late. There is also a 25 lb./person limit on luggage.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Well, here's the problem. I booked a flight on Sansa going to Manuel Antonio, but it departs only an hour after my flight from the states arrives. I didn't find out until later (through this forum) that that is just not enough time to make the flight. But if my flight comes in a bit early or the Sansa flight is delayed, and all the planets come into alignment.........It's possible I may make that flight. So I don't want to reserve a Turismo van through the hotel and then not use it. Do you pay in advance for the van or put down a deposit?

So I thought I'd see if I get lucky , then I'd like to know that I could just get a cab to MA if I don't. I hate to get there, not make the flight and then not be able to find a cabbie to take me to MA. If that is likely to be the case then I'll just resreve the van.

Yikes! How do I get myself into these messes!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM

It'll be tight. Immigration and customs lines moved pretty quickly, and if the Sansa flight leaves from Santamaria you just might make it. When we booked our van we asked the hotel that morning if they could help and we were on our way within the hour. Of course, we couldn't request a specific driver...but we were more thatn satisfied!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM

In hindsight, I wish I'd done what you're thinking of. Sure it's a risk. On the other hand, since I just had a carry-on, I was out by the taxi ranks a good 10 minutes before the rest of the passengers came out. I could've made the Sansa flt to MA with time to spare. It's only about 5 or so blocks to the Sansa terminal. Good Luck whatever you decide to do.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Yeah, but you wouldn't have had time for your beer outside the terminal!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:42 PM

'tis true decisions, decisions...
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac, You mean they don't serve beer in the cabs there! Now this changes everything! HA,HA!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Truth be told, it's probably in the trunk!

Tully, your description some time back of your arrival method has stayed with me--I thought at the time: Now this gal has it figured out! I still think so!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM
RHR

We took a cab from San Jose Airport to Manuel Antonio hotel for a $100 dollars.

The driver was real nice, spoke no english, however, we had no trouble communicating.

There are an abundace of cabs at the airport(orangish in color). He brought us to a lunch place before we left (we bought him lunch) and then stopped along the way at a couple of places for bathroom breaks and refreshments (cervesas).

Very easy.