Search

Bus travel in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus travel in Costa Rica

We are in our 60's and have been to Costa Rica many times. We have always rented a car. Now retired, we would like to find a cheaper way to travel. We are wondering how difficult the local buses are to navigate without knowing much Spanish. We would most likely be traveling the northern part of the country ie La Fortuna, Nosara, Cano Negro, etc and will probably stay in each area for a week or so. We are in good condition for walking a few miles per day but not dragging luggage and too old for back packs. Any ideas you have on the bus system is helpful. Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM

We have not taken the bus system, but I have read that you need to be really careful about keeping an eye on your luggage; petty theft isn't uncommon. You could also check out Interbus to see if that fits your needs.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM

It's pretty easy to ride the bus in Costa Rica, although usually more time consuming. Check here for more info: www.thebusschedule.com

People riding the bus will be helpful and they will be your best source of information. You can pick up buses at a bus station or at one of the many bus stops around the country. Some bus stations have ticket windows, some do not. Be prepared to pay the driver in colones. If you don't know what the fare is, tell the driver where you are going and just offer him 2,000 or 3,000 colones. He will take out the fare and give you back the rest. Count your change and you will then know the fare.

Other than city buses, there are storage areas underneath the buses where you can put your luggage. A good idea is to bring a small bicycle lock and lock two bags together so no one can pick up your bag at a bus stop. Inside the bus, either put your backpack or bag in the overhead across from your seat and keep an eye on it - especially at bus stops - or just keep it with you.

One common scheme on buses is for someone to drop their sunglasses and while you are busy helping them (sometimes they "accidentally" get their sunglasses tangled in your backpack), their accomplice is lifting your wallet. Either wear a money belt or if there is some kind of commotion, put your hand on your wallet.

Petty theft is the only real danger on the bus. Most Costa Ricans don't have cars so this is how they travel. It will give you a good insight into Costa Rican life - and - get you around the country very inexpensively.

You might consider doing a combination of Interbus or other shuttles and public bus.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Two yrs ago my husband,myself and two teenage kids took the bus from San Jose to the Caribbean coast. It was cheap, great way to see the sights, and relaxing. The year before just hubby and I rented a car, much more expensive. The bus worked out so well we took it back to San Jose. We don't speak hardly any Spanish and did just fine. Am going to return in Jan and take the bus over to Panama as it is cheaper to fly into San Jose than Panama City. People were very friendly and the bus put the luggage in the under storage.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:37 AM

Bus system is not great ok lots of theft from the overheads

when I have ridden them in the past...

Honestly prefer cheap car rental

www.servicecarrental.com

or shuttles like www.interbusonline.com

unless budget is severe...
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Fry69 - I would be curious to hear how your bus travel to Panama goes. We have thought of that trip also but just hesitant until we navigate Costa Rica first. Thanks all for your advice.
Thanks. Shelly & Pete
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
bd

Many years ago, my husband and I took the bus from San Jose to Monteverde. We were warned not to put the luggage under the bus, or it would be taken at other stops, and not to put any on the overhead rack because there was a common scam of slowly sliding the backpacks towards the back, having everything removed and then slid back into place. So we sat with a duffel bag and a backpack on each of our laps for seven hours. The bus driver seemed to stop at every side street and wave all the locals on the bus so it took hours to get out of the city. The bus was full to the brim. The locals would jump off (literally - I don't think the bus stopped along the way) along the dark road as they neared their homes. It was an amazing experience.

Am I glad I did it? Absolutely!
Would I do it again? Absolutely not!
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM

There are buses and there are buses. It can be done but it could be a challenge with timing of buses and the amount of time needed for travel. There might not always be a convenient connection. Some buses are cushy mercedes benz and others are old refurbished Blue Birds. Some put your stuff in the bottom and don't open them again until you are at the bus station at the end of the trip. Some stop for every person along the way, others don't. The truly locals do. Do be careful about putting stuff up on top over the seats. Keep an eye on it and while at the rest stops take it with you.

Tica Bus/Nica Bus are both good for long hauls up to Nicaragua and down into Panama. Comfortable. No bus is great for long hauls but those are pretty good. Be prepared to get some exercise at the borders. Paso Canoas (Panama)in particular has you running from place to place.

Locals who use the bus and hotel owners possibly are probably your best bet for finding out the timing of buses. The times can and do change. I have a picture of one of our local buses that goes to Puerto jimenez as well as other places. The times were changed frequently on the wall and as was mentioned this was a bus station that does not have a person there to collect, you pay the driver.