budget accommodation needed in Isla Mujeres!

Apr 9th, 2002, 06:02 AM
RUTH

budget accommodation needed in Isla Mujeres!

Does anyone know of cheap, but clean & safe accommodation (hotel, hostel, B & B) in Isla Mujeres, for 1st week of May/02?
My daughter, 24, wants a low $ one-week retreat vacation on a student budget.

Thanks! Ruth in Vancouver. [email protected]

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Susan

Check out www.isla-mujeres.net - there is lots of accommodation listed there.

My husband and I were on Isla in early March. We had booked Mar y Sol, which is on the south end of the island. It was $30 USD / night or $200 USD / week. That included tax, so I thought it was a good deal in high season. I think prices are the same all year. We had kitchen facilities there, and ended up having breakfast there every day, as well as the odd lunch. It was very basic accommodation - no frills.

There are also some inexpensive places in town, which might be a better alternative if she's going on her own or she's a first time visitor to Isla. What she could do is book a place for 1 night and then look around and move to something else. This was our second trip to Isla Mujeres. I found that there was lots of vacancies on the island and tourism is really down, so it wouldn't be difficult to find a place.

Prices in general on Isla seem to have gone up. Part of that is the terrible state of our Canadian dollar! I found that meals were more expensive than I had expected, so it was nice to have a kitchen.

Apr 9th, 2002, 09:46 AM
try...

You might want to post your question over on Lonely Planet's bulletin board called "thorn tree". Those folks are more tuned into youth/budget travel than this board. Or even just do an Isla Mujeres search, there's usually alot posted. www.Lonely Planet.com

Apr 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Ally

There is also a forum on
www.isla-mujeres.net
It's very active and has many members that go to Isla every year if not more often. You have to register to post questions, but it's simple. You do not need to register just to read the post though, and you might find what you need just by reading.

Apr 17th, 2002, 11:15 AM
biganna

Poc-Na is the youth hostel on the island -- safe, near the beach and well run from what I hear -- never stayed there but it has been there for years).

Apr 17th, 2002, 12:58 PM
yesyoudo

Actually Ally I just tried to read the posts on the Isla message boards but you need a password even to read them.

Apr 17th, 2002, 06:57 PM
d motl

We spend a month a year on the island and just got back on the 14th. We can send you our 26 page brouchure on the island if you e-mail us--it is free and we are not promoting anybody. Actually to answer your question we need a price range. The youth hostel is the cheapest but it is very hot in May. If you want A/C and a refridgerator than the Francis Arlene at about $42 would be your best bet. Dan and Ginny

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Barb

We would like to receive your 26 page brouchuer on Isla Mujeres. We will be there for 3 weeks starting 1/11/03.

Thanks
[email protected]